E I G H T E E N

Rhys

I ran to the infirmary as fast as I could

When I saw Matt and Mia talking to the Doctor, I nearly sagged in relief.

When Mia saw me, she shut her eyes tightly "Geez Rhys, why are you so bright?"

I looked at her in confusion before looking at my clothes. I was wearing a black shirt, pants, and boots.

Her definition of bright must have been totally different than mine because my outfit was was dark as night.

"Uh... Mimi, are you on some medication I don't know about?"

I looked at the Doctor "Is she on something? Is this a side effect?"

He shook his head "No, she's not on medication right now but she's been complaining about head pains since she woke up. I'm going to have her transferred to a hospital in order to run some tests." 

"I'm not having head pains" Mia gritted out through her teeth "I'm seeing colors on everyone."

Matt leaned his head back against the head board of the hospital bed. While Mia and the Doctor were fighting, I quietly walked over to Matt and waited for him to speak.

I didn't have to wait long

"What happened?" he asked quietly

"That's what I'm trying to figure out" I murmured, not ready to tell them everything my parents told me "What do you remember?"

"Shawn and I were walking with the girls to come get you for dinner but suddenly Mia collapsed. I caught her but then Everly came down next. Shawn caught her but then he went down. I was about to call out for help but then my body started to feel heavy and I couldn't move let alone speak. Next thing I knew, I'm waking up to Mia complaining about seeing colors."

"And are you seeing colors too?"

"No, I'm just super tired" he turned his head and saw Ever and Shawn still asleep "They're not up yet?"

I shook my head "No."

I turned my attention to the Doctor "Doc, how's Everly and Shawn."

"Ms. Daye is stable at the moment" he grimaced "Mr. Montez on the other hand...well, he's stabilized at the moment."

"What does that mean?" Matt asked

"His temperature keeps increasing to very dangerous levels. If it doesn't break soon, I'm afraid that he might suffer some serious brain damage."

"What?" Mia exclaimed

"What can we do to make his temperature drop?"

"We're doing all the necessary things to get his temperature under control but right now, everything we've tried has been unsuccessful."

"Well, make it successful." Mia snapped.

My mouth opened in shock and Matt's head snapped to her.

It was so unlike her to be this hostile and impatient, she was usually calm, cool, and collected.

"Calm down Baby." he soothed

"Don't tell me to calm down" she started crying "I am not losing one of my best friends because of this...whatever this is. Now fix them and make it quick. The longer they're like this, the harder it will be to cure them. I don't care what it takes. Fix them!"