Chapter 4

Ruby

My first few classes dragged on, without Jade, school is really boring. My stomach growls as I enter the cafeteria to get my chicken salad. Walking to my usual table, I sit down frowning at the empty seat in front of me. Pouring my dressing on the salad I begin to munch when my phone sings from my bag.

"Hello," I mumble around my food.

"Rubes," Jade calls out happily. "I just got your text and message. What did you do?" she screeches at me.

"I don't know. I was scared and couldn't think fast enough," I say quickly. "I don't have my wing woman."

"I know," she sighs. "What are you going to do now and why in the hell is Daniel Jones asking you about a boyfriend," she squeals.

"Chill," I tell her. "I don't know, it's so confusing Jade," I pout.

"I wish I were there with you," she says, suddenly sad. "I miss you Ruby."

"I miss you too," I swallow the lump in my throat. "How's it going?" I ask.

"It's good. I like the school and the teachers but everyone is seriously hardcore and no one really smiles. It's freaking bizarre," she whispers.

"I'm sorry," I tell her. "I wanted you to have a blast."

"Please, I can only have a blast with my BFF and for a few more months we are separated," she says.

"Will you be home for Thanksgiving?" I ask excitedly.

"No," she sighs deflating my good mood. "I have a recital that weekend but I'd love for you to come see me. My mom already said she'd bring you. Please Rubes?" She begs.

"I'll ask," I tell her because it's all I can offer right now.

"It won't cost you anything I promise," she whispers.

A small smile graces my lips because even tough we are miles apart she is still keeping my secret.

"I miss you Jade," I blurt.

"I miss you too Ruby," she replies. "Now quit stalling and tell me about the morning."

I relay the events of this morning as I munch on my lunch while Jade listens to my story. She fills me in on her day so far and by the time the bell rings I feel so utterly alone. After I hang up, I move slowly down the hall ignoring everyone. I swear the other half of my soul is missing.

"Hey are you okay?"

"Yeah," I reply not even bothering to look up at Daniel.

"I saw you in the lunch room," he says. "You looked happy, were you...was that your boyfriend?" he asks.

Lifting my head I look at him, confused.

"On the phone?" he adds.

"Oh...oh," I blink at him. Good one Ruby, make up a fake boyfriend and totally forget him. "Um, no it was Jade."

"Ah," he nods. "Where did she go anyway? I was away all summer," he tells me.

"She got into Julliard," I beam with pride on behalf of my bestie.

"No shit," he looks surprised. "Isn't that a school for music?"

"And dance, she's a ballerina," I explain.

"That's awesome, so how come you didn't go? I thought you two were joined at the hip," he teases.

"Yeah we were but I don't dance. I watch Jade dance," I smile.