Chapter 34

Mason

My emotions are all over the place. I didn't expect to see Ruby let alone kiss her. Coach's daughter calls me from the doorway and I know they will make their announcement in a few minutes. Ruby runs to the bathroom leaving me standing in the hall. It's quiet out here so I walk toward the restroom to wait for her. Pacing the hall I check my phone she's been five minutes already. Checking around me, I push the door with my foot. I watch her wipe her eyes and open her purse with shaky hands. She pulls out some makeup and tries to fix her eyes but more tears fall.

"Crap," she breathes. Pulling a paper towel out of the dispenser she wipes her eyes again and applies the makeup while taking deep breathes. She closes her eyes and presses her hand to her chest trying to calm down. She looks beautiful tonight in that dress with her hair falling down her back but it's always her eyes that seem to trap me and hold me captive. She slowly finishes reapplying her lipstick takes out her phone.

"I have to get back in there," I say making her jump with fright.

She blinks at me, clutching her purse to her chest in one hand the phone in the other.

"Are you ready?" I ask.

"With me," she asks. Holding out my hand she looks down at it then runs to me flinging herself around my body. "I'm so sorry please forgive me."

"Ruby," I hold her tightly. "Let's go."

We step apart and I take her hand in mine walking into the gym. The music is still loud with people dancing.

"About time," Chloe says. "I'll let them know you're finally done making out."

"Thanks," I roll my eyes at her. I spot my parents talking to Rory and walk over to them. "Hey, what are you doing here?"

"Hi sweetie," mom says to me. "We weren't going to miss this," she winks at me.

"Ruby, haven't seen you for a while," dad smiles at her.

"Hello Mr. Baker," she smiles at him. The music cuts off and people grumble but coach steps to the microphone. He talks about the football season so far and how we've won every game this year. He starts to give out awards to players, some are scolarships but mostly they're for playing.

"Best defense this season, Rory McBride," coach says. We all clap for him as he runs to the stage.

"Thanks coach," he says. "First I'd like to thank the academy," the whole room roars with laughter. "Nah, just messing. Thanks lads," he waves the trophy in the air. Coach shakes his head when Rory jumps of the stage.

"Good Job," I grin when he grabs me.

"Next I'd like to talk about my next player. He's stubborn to say the least but he's one of the best captains that we've had here at Crafton High." The guys whistle at my table and I just shake my head at them. "We've had three winning years since I gave him a shot as first string Quarterback and I'm going to miss him next year. Big shoes to fill." He looks around the room. "So this years MVP goes to a well deserved Mason Baker."

Rory is the loudest person cheering in the room and I laugh on my way to coach. Taking the trophy I thank him and shake his hand.

"Thank you," I say to everyone. Another round of cheers and claps echo around the room. "I appreciate you all voting for me," I smile. "It's hard to believe that my time as a Bulldog is coming to a close but I've enjoyed leading this team to victory over the years. I know we have a few more games this season but I plan to give my all, nothing has changed. Thanks to the team you all make it easy for me," I wave then leave the stage.