Chapter 10

Ruby

I feel sick. Oh my god how did he find me? I need a drink. Reaching into my backpack I pull out the warm bottle of water and swallow a mouthful. The jeep stops in the park and I nervously pack the water back into my bag. We are all quiet as the jeep pulls to a stop under the shade of a tree. I watch as Mason unbuckles his seatbelt and turns to me, expectantly.

"Can we walk?" I ask quietly.

"Go ahead," the guy in the backseat says, with an accent and a laugh.

"Yeah," Mason climbs out of the jeep and I follow, grabbing my bag. "You can leave that there," he tells me.

"Okay," I reply but grab my phone out of it. The guy in the back, smiles at me when I stand up and I smile back. Walking back to where Mason stands I begin to walk slowly along the grass.

"So, I guess we should get this over with," he looks at me.

"Yeah," I nod, a little breathless at how good looking he is up close. "I'm Ruby," I begin and hold my hand out to him. He chuckles a little as he shakes my hand.

"Mason," he smiles.

My hand tingles when he lets go and I wonder if my palms feel clammy to him because they sure as hell are sweating. I shove them into my back pockets using the material of my jeans to wipe the sweat away.

"First, I'm really sorry that I used your name," I tell him. "I really didn't mean too." I explain what happened and how I came to use his name, I think I've apologized fifty times already.

"So what about all that trash on Twitter?" he asks.

"Oh," I frown. "I don't know how all those people found me. I only have three followers," I shrug feeling like a total loser.

"Who's the ballerina?"

"My best friend but she just moved away, she's a dancer and she got accepted to Julliard," I smile. I find it easier to talk about Jade more than myself.

"So you hang out with those guys?" he looks down at me.

Shaking my head I look at my feet to hide my flaming cheeks. "No, Bret. The tall one with the blonde hair," I explain.

"Ah," he nods.

"Yeah, I'm really sorry," I say again because I really can't think of a good explanation other than how things went down.

"It's fine," he says with a shrug. "I'm actually happy that I came here to see you. Although I was planning to yell at you," he laughs.

"You can if you want," I tell him with a cringe.

"No," he smiles. "I don't want to, I'm just teasing you. So you have no one to hang out with now that your friend is gone?"

"Wow, I sound really lame," I mumble.

"No, shit, I didn't mean it like that," he says stopping in front of me with his hands splayed. "I just...I mean," he sighs.

"It's okay, you can fake break up with me," I smile. "I'm sorry and if you have a girlfriend I really didn't mean to hurt her."

"No girlfriend," he says quickly then clears his throat. "So, um..." he glances at his watch. "Crap, I need get going or I'll be late for Madison."

"Sure, I'll just grab my bag," I tell him.

We walk back to the jeep where the other guy is now sprawled across the seat and Mason shoves his leg.

"I'm up," he jumps.

"Get out you fool," Mason laughs.

"Ruby baby," the guy climbs out of the jeep. "What's your last name?"

"Grey," I reply.

"Ruby Grey, sweet," he grins then pulls out his phone. "You on Facebook?"

"Yes," I nod.

"That you?" he turns his phone and I nod. "Accept me," he tells me.

"Rory," Mason scoffs. "Leave her alone."

"What, she loves me. Don't ye Ruby."

"I don't know you," I laugh nervously.

"Of course you do, we're Facebook friends, it's official," he teases and I can't help but smile.

"Is she coming tonight?" Rory asks Mason.

"Where?" Mason replies.

"Listen Ruby, Mason is a bit thick when it comes to the ladies. There's a party tonight, you want to come hang out?" he asks.

"I have to go to work now and I don't finish until seven," I reply.

"Yeah, that's not what I asked," he wiggles his brows at me. "It's like a twenty minute drive you can meet us there," he says and my face blooms.

"I...I don't have a car," I clear my throat.

I feel them staring at me and I grab my bag from the floor of the jeep.

"I'm sorry again," I tell Mason. "Nice to meet you guys."

I wave then take off to the gate of the park so I can get to work on time. It's hot out still so I hook both straps of my bag on my back as I begin to walk down the road.

"Hey," Mason calls. He jogs after me, and stops to take my bag. "How far is your job?"

"About a mile," I reply.

"A mile, damn. Come on I'll drive you," he says walking away with my bag.

When we reach the store I thank them again and I just really want to go hide in my embarrassment. Rory smiles kindly at me as I exit the jeep and he takes my seat. Mason carries my bag into the store, resting it on the counter.

"So about that party tonight," he says shoving his hands into his front pockets so deep that I catch the waistband of his boxers.

"Hum?" I ask.

"Would you like to come to the party?" he asks while his cheeks tint pink.

Oh my god is he really asking me to a party! Opening my mouth I'm about to reply but the door swings open. Two guys walk inside dressed for work on a construction site and they walk down the aisle.

"Here, take my number give me a call if you change your mind," he shrugs. I watch him leave the store and hop into the jeep. They pull away without looking at me again and my heart finally returns to my chest cavity. The two men approach with their supplies and I rush around the counter to greet them.