Chapter 17: Stay With Me

There was an unrelenting pounding in my chest as we drew nearer and nearer to the kingdom, the usual ten minute journey cut into less than four.

"We're nearly there." I murmured, in attempt to comfort both Syren and myself. "Just hold onto me a little longer." I could be mistaken as it was very slight, but I could've sworn Syren held me a little tighter.

The journey was fairly smooth which I was thankful for and by the time we reached the capital, the front gate was wide open. They had seen us arrive.

"Help!" I screamed as the horse burst through the streets. Many monsters started screaming too but for different reasons. "Please help her!"

A group of Protectors were already waiting and had surrounded us and I scanned all of them, hoping to find either Leixa or Ricard among them. Thankfully they were both there.

"Dawn! What happened?" Leixa exclaimed as she helped me off the horse. The Protectors were already helping the injured monster.

"It's Syren, she needs to be healed. She was held up against the border." I rushed through my words, as if it would get Syren help faster. All the screaming stopped and the street had become so silent I was sure all of them could hear the heavy pounding in my chest.

"You saved me." Syren's voice was barely above a whisper as her eyes fluttered closed.

I bent down so my lips were near her ear. "You'll be okay now." I murmured and the Protectors carried her away in the direction of what I assume would be the hospital.

"Zyire wishes to see you again human." A voice came from behind and once before, I would have cared about being taken away. None of that mattered to me now.

"Lead the way." I motioned forward, showing my willingness. The Protectors understood that I wasn't going to run so no handcuffs were needed which I was extremely thankful for.

Leixa and Ricard stayed behind me, not daring to say a word. I could tell they were both worried about Syren and were eager to find out what happened. I wish I could tell them but I wasn't too sure myself.

The Protectors took me to the same marvellous hall with marble pillars that seemed to stretch on forever. In the centre, standing there in all his glory, was King Zyire.

"We meet again Dawn." The King said, looking as regal as he did on the day I first saw him. "I have been looking forward to this moment."

I was hardly paying attention. Was Syren going to be alright? Did we get here in time? I refused to think that we were too late. That wasn't an option for me. I only focused on what Zyire was saying when he started asking questions.

"So you saved a monster?"

I met his gaze. "Yes."

"And not just any monster, but you saved a Protector of our kind and part of the kings guard."

"Without blinking." I answered but my mind wandered off again. Was Syren in the hospital right now? Has she already been healed?

"Incredible." Zyire clapped and a musical laugh escaped him. "Absolutely incredible."

"I suppose." My voice was barely audible but every monster in the room heard it. I looked down at my hands that were stained red. The blood had dried at this point and I was sure it would be difficult to scrub it all off.

"I wonder if she is going to change allegiance." The King seemed thoughtful while every other monster in the room gasped, Leixa and Ricard included.

"What do you mean?" I asked but Zyire did nothing but smile.

"Nothing child, only time will tell."