Chapter 20: Breathless

The following day passed by in a blur and before I knew it, I was standing in front of a mirror staring at myself in a dress for the first time.

The celebration that was being held tonight demanded for everyone attending to wear formal clothing.

My dress was breathtaking. It was the deepest blue I had ever seen in my life with silver diamonds scattered from the bodice all around the poofy skirt which touch the floor.

The dressmaker Leixa had taken me to earlier on in the day really knew what she was doing.

Leixa stood beside me in her own magnificent dress for the evening.

We were in Syren's room however my monster wasn't anywhere in sight, having said earlier on that she had to prepare for the celebration. Commander's duties I suppose.

"So do you think you're ready for tonight?" Leixa asked as she sat down.

I couldn't lie. "Not even close."

"Aw c'mon, you'll have a great time!" She encouraged and gave me the thumbs up. "Syren is gonna love you in that dress."

My fingers absentmindedly ran over the fabric. "Will she?" My voice was barely a whisper as I stared at myself in the mirror, suddenly feeling nervous about what Syren would think.

"Do you even need to ask? You could turn up in a bedsheet and she would still think you're the most beautiful thing alive."

I smiled a little and fiddled with my hair that was in some sort of a messy updo that Leixa had done in under two minutes. "Syren is beautiful." I said to no one in particular.

"She is." Leixa agreed and stood up swiftly. "C'mon, we need to leave now or we'll be late."

"Where are we meeting Freya?" I asked as we left Syren's room, Leixa locking it behind us and shoved the spare key back into the room underneath the door.

"Just outside of this building." She answered before we made our descent down the stairs which was made so much harder by wearing a dress.

Once we reached the bottom and left the building, I immediately started looking for my sister. It didn't take me long to find her.

"Freya you look beautiful!" I exclaimed. Wearing a light pink gown covered in flowers that ran from her waist down to the floor and her strawberry blonde hair pulled back into a messy updo like mine, she looked whimsical. 

"So do you." She hugged me and laughed. "I can't believe that we're wearing dresses to a ball in the capital monster kingdom."

"How are you taking it?" I asked, realising that this might be too much for her as this was her first time outside of the Base and the forest. 

Freya looked down and for a moment I thought she was crying but I was proved wrong when she smiled widely instead. "I love it. Everyone has been so kind to me and the food is actually nice!"

I chuckled and patted her shoulder. "Have you tried strawberries?"

"Yes, Ricard gave me some yesterday. They're my favourite that I've tried so far." I could hear Leixa snicker as my mind repeated what Freya just said.

Wait, Ricard?

"You and Ricard seem to be getting close."

"Yeah we're friends."

I narrowed my eyes, not believing that for a second. "I see."