0 | PROLOGUE

THERE WAS SMOKE IN MY eyes and death at my back

The clock struck twelve, the planets shifted, the stars exchanged positions with their twins. Wisps of coal black smoke curled around my hands as the knife slit both my veins. Blood dripped to the floor, splattering over the mirror in front of me.

My eyes were blue in the candlelight, softly hazy. I counted backwards from thirteen in a soft voice as the lights began to dim.

Then my reflection blinked at me, and the candle died out.

A shade materialized in the room, radiating tendrils of condensed smoke and infinite dread. Its eyes were hollow sockets, boring right into my gaze - as if staring into my soul.

"The cruel gods of death demand blood to fulfill your wish. Are you sure you want to wish what you want to wish?" the raspy, hollow voice asked me.

"Yes," I whispered, holding my breath.

"I know what you intend to do. Do not attempt it."

"I did not ask you for advice," I said, trying to keep my voice cool, even as my hands balled up into furious fists, nails digging deeper into my flesh.

The shade gave an empty laugh, a laugh which sounded like something dead.

"Alright then. You get one wish and one question," it said somewhat amicably. What it didn't know, was that I was getting unnerved with every passing second.

Bargain with the offer of a shade, lose one of your five senses forever.

"I accept."

"Very well. Go ahead. The question first," the shade reminded.

"Am I fated to be Queen Regnant?" I demanded.

A moment passed as the shade considered, peering into the future.

"No," it said after a judicious pause.

Anger welled up in me as I tried to regain my composure.

"The wish?" the shade asked, the deep voice setting my nerves afire with fear and resentment.

"Make me Regnant," I ordered.

"I cannot do that. Because the one to be elected as Regnant has a purpose you cannot fulfill," it refused.

"What?" I screeched. "This is a Blood Ritual, you have to fulfill my wish!"

It shook its head.

"Even a Blood Ritual cannot change the course of future. Future which you are sifting and rippling right now. You have done things to the future that will shake the whole of Endollon."

A loud crash rang from the rooms downstairs. I heard my brother wake up, letting loose a string of curses, and a female Rotavelle voice joined his own.

"I have offered you a fifth of my body's blood on exchange! You need to return the favor!" 

"This will never work."

Suddenly, I heard footsteps up the stairs. Someone was coming up to look for me. I was running out of time with every passing second.

"Please," I begged, picking up my dagger.

The sounds were getting louder.

"It cannot be done. It will largely shift the future, and that power is not one belonging to me," it refused.

"Then get someone who has the power! I paid the ultimate price for this ritual!" I hissed.

The footsteps were just a floor below.

"It is time to let go. It may not be possible," the shade said.

"No - no!" I exclaimed hysterically, all the while aware of the footsteps coming nearer and nearer.

If someone found out what I was doing, the king would have me severely punished. For this was a Blood Ritual, and Blood Rituals were now banned after Pandora used them in the Titanomachy.

"I might be... no," it crossed its arms, as the steps were a few seconds away.

I had to banish it before someone found out.

The steps were just a second away.

"I might-" the shade began, but I lit up the candle at that moment, and the smoke and shade both disappeared back to ether, mid sentence.

The footsteps stopped outside the door. I waited in the silence for the door to open. Nothing happened.

Suddenly, a gust of wind blew in from under the door as all the candles went out.

Behind me, there was a huge, resonating 'crack' as the mirror broke into a million little pieces.

My heart stopped beating as dread filled my soul.

This was not supposed to happen. This was NOT supposed to happen.

I had to run.

I let go of my reign on the pain, and careful not to step on the pieces, I made my way to the door, drawing the dagger and opening the door with my heart in my mouth.

The corridor was empty.

But I had heard someone coming up the stairs.

I was certain someone had come up the stairs!

I ran, the smoking room behind me. Down the stairs, across the courtyard, over the balcony, I ran.

I caught a flash of green somewhere nearby, my eyes flashed over it, paying no heed. But my mind barely registered the fact that the ethereal looking woman wearing those green robes, was staring right at me with fathomless, black eyes. She had appeared out of thin air. But that wasn't just it.

She had been twelve feet tall.

• • • • •

So, here's the prologue! How did you find it? Are you wondering who is a Queen Regnant?

A Queen Regnant is a woman, equal in power to a man, holding the same duties and responsibilities as a King. His true equal. Try to guess who this person was! And if you liked it, please drop a vote :)