82 | ACT V, SCENE IX

P R E V I O U S L Y

The curator was Cosmo.

MUSÉE DU LOUVRE, PARIS

EDWINA

I WENT STILLER THAN DEATH, my gaze never leaving Cosmo's moss green eyes.

Forgive your father when you find out what he did for you, he had told me at my coronation. Told me before he took the potion of reincarnation, dying and leaving his crown to us.

He looked as young as the day he had died. Early twenties, clean shaven face, gleaming white hair and ancient green eyes the colour of moss, shining with the secrets of the unknown.

The name plaque read 'Cosimo Mallory Hightower, Head Curator, Museé du Louvre.'

"Holy fuck," Tristan whispered beside me, a warning hand on my shoulder.

Cosmo had been reborn as a human immediately after he died, it seemed. And in the twenty years which had passed here since Eric's last visit, he'd already risen to power - just the way I had.

"Miss Tremont," the young man said efficiently, not getting up but instead leaning back in the leather chair. His gaze still held the sharp edge of authority. He did not gasp or flinch at the sight of us, no, this man was composed and cool with an aura of power around him, this man who had been King in his previous life.

"Cosmo," Eric began. "Do you-"

"-my name is Cosimo, young man," he cut us off sharply.

I looked at the others, who shook their heads at me.

If he didn't remember anything of his previous life...

"Gods."

"None of the sixty curators under me have that name. Are you looking for someone else?" he asked coolly.

There was no doubt. This was Cosmo.

"You - don't you remember anything? You were a god, a King in the previous life," Tristan said quietly, observing him with a steely glint in his dark eye.

Nothing," Cosmo - Cosimo - said silently, then his eyes fell on me. "Well, miss Tremont. To what do I owe this pleasure? As far as I recall, you were last seen alive twenty years ago."

"I..." I fell at a loss for words, still not having recovered from the shock of seeing my dead great grandfather alive and breathing again - living, breathing proof that the potion he took had worked.