51 | ACT II, SCENE XXIII

P R E V I O U S L Y

A horrified gasp burst from my lips as I uncovered the pitcher.
There was no water in it.
There was only the cube.

HARTINGTON CASTLE, ALNWICK, STORMHOLT

TRISTAN

"STOP BEING SO DRAMATIC, VALMONT. What are you, twelve?" Edwina snapped as I leaned against the parapet, crossing my arms with a frown.

"On a scale of one to ten, yes," I tersely bit out.

"You," she continued with determination, "will thank Celestina. She got you the antidote. It's just two words, why in hell can't you speak them?"

"Oh, I can," I rolled my eyes. "I just don't feel particularly thankful to her."

"Shut up. Now come with me-" Edwina argued, quickly taking my hand and leading me to the hall.

"I don't want to thank Celestina!"

"You will," she growled fiercely. "I'll go back to Dracnesse if you don't thank her."

Blackmail. I looked at her, trying to hide a sullen smile and resisted the urge to kiss the daylights out of her. Such a charmer, my wife. I'd never met a more stubborn headed person.

I relented, sighing.

"Fine. I'll thank her."

As if on cue, Edwina nodded to one of the guards who opened the doors and brought the newest addition to our family in, trembling with fear.

"Your Graces," Celestina swept into a deft bow, and the silk frills on her atrocious pink gown quaked with nervousness. She stood up, and those bright green eyes shone with the overeagerness to please, disgusting me more than ever.

Edwina nudged the point of her elbow into my side, a snide smile on one corner of her lips.

"I wish to... thank you. I owe you my life," I muttered grimly, looking everywhere else except for Llewellyn's new wife. Venom was biting my tongue more harshly than insults coated in poison, but I carefully held them back.

"What - what is wrong?" Celestina asked softly, chewing her lip with increasing fright.

"What?"

"You look like..." her voice trailed off into a garble of incoherent words that disappeared into air, "...like you want to bite my face off," she whispered, cheeks reddening with shame.