62 | ACT IV, SCENE I

P R E V I O U S L Y

Together, Eric and Eros dragged me to the prison cell, the grip of their arms so strong that I could not move. My senses seemed numbed and frozen against the sum of their powers as they flung me to the dungeons and I slumped down to the floor, cast into the darkness.

 My senses seemed numbed and frozen against the sum of their powers as they flung me to the dungeons and I slumped down to the floor, cast into the darkness

[TRIGGER WARNING: THIS CHARACTER IS CLAUSTROPHOBIC. READ AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION.]

[NOTE: THE FIRST PART OF THIS CHAPTER CONTAINS A FLASHBACK.]

CARLEIGH PALACE, SUNCAIRN, ELLESMERE.

EDWINA

"SHE'S DEAD," FATHER SAID, WIPING his sword as I looked up. His eyes shined with something unnatural, something I couldn't place. Something which I, honestly, didn't like the look of.

"Who's dead?"

"Elodie Valmont."

It took me a second to comprehend as I resisted the urge to rip the pages right off the book.

"What? Why in hell would you do that?" I shouted. He said nothing, merely straightened his leather jerkin and took off his boots, putting his head in his hands.

"She's the daughter of Apollo and twin to Tristan Valmont! Do you have any idea what a mighty House like theirs could do to ours?" I demanded, taking a few more steps to him. He didn't say a single word.

"Edwina-" he stopped mid sentence, voice catching in his throat. A single tear dropped out of his eye.

"Something has happened," I sensed, my voice fading in my throat. I didn't like the way this was going. "What have you done?" I questioned, as Aidon entered the room, eyes red with weeping, and he exchanged a guilty look with my father.

"What happened?" I asked again, as the temperature began to rise. My father said nothing, merely held out his hand.

It was my mother's signet ring.

"No!" I gasped. "No - this is not possible-"

"Edwina," Aidon said slowly. "It was him. It was our uncle."

"No," I said firmly. "No, just see, I'm going to walk through those doors and she'll be there, telling me not to forget my cloak when-"

"-Edwina," father's voice was heavy. "She isn't coming back."

"No," I said again, my voice small and smaller, as hopelessness began to take grip of me and tears began welling in my eyes. No, it couldn't be. Not my mother. Not my mother.