47 | ACT II, SCENE XIX

P R E V I O U S L Y

"It's a trap!" Halette shrieked as glass shattered and champagne spilled over the tiles in the hall which had fallen dead silent. "They're trying to poison you!" she cried.

 "They're trying to poison you!" she cried

HEXHAM PALACE, SKELDERGATE, ALLINGTON.

EDWINA

"A TRAP?" I ECHOED, AS the hall broke into complete chaos.

People began to scream and move out of the way, making path for the three Rotavelles approaching Halette and me with flaming vengeance and bloodlust in their eyes. The smug smiles and fake lies had melted away, and they pulled out their swords in unison, walking straight towards me.

"You have to leave - ​now!" Halette cried, roughly shaking my shoulders as I stood there, unmoving. I had to warn Tristan, I'd last seen him after our dance, and I was on the verge of mentally reaching out to him when she suddenly slapped my cheek and screamed in my ear, "run!"

"No," I swore, determined. "A Queen does not flee without her people."

"You sneaking, sniveling bitch!" Emerick bellowed like an enraged bull, snarling at Halette as he waved his knife menacingly at her. I realized the huge personal sacrifice she had made to betray her family plans to the enemy.

There ​was​ a reason I'd been wearing dark colors. To hide the outline of the blades under my clothes. There ​was​ a reason I'd been wearing full sleeves that were over a meter long even in the heat. To cover the knives I'd strapped to my arms. There was a reason I'd let my long hair fall all the way down to the waist.

Because it hid the hilt of the three foot long sword hidden in the false pocket at my back.

"Well then," my hair tossed to one side, drawing out Seraphine without a hint of hesitation. "Guess who's ready for some blood?" I growled, kicking a chair out of my way with astounding force.

"You wait - you just wait!" Emerick seethed, rage literally spitting out of his tongue. "You monster! You scum of hell! I hope the devil burns you in his fires before he takes your life, Edwina - fucking - Tremayne!"

Rayden and Leander cornered me from either side, tearing off their robes to reveal suits of gleaming armor underneath. Favian pulled out a long rapier, his leer more malicious than ever as he quickly closed in on Halette, dragging his aunt up by a firm grip on her white throat.

"Please - no - let go, you monster!" she cried, clawing uselessly on his sharp fingernails as they pressed in harder, drawing blood.