90 | ACT VII, SCENE I

P R E V I O U S L Y

"This isn't going to be a war. It's going to be a massacre," Tristan gravely answered, as we both finally set off into the night.

 It's going to be a massacre," Tristan gravely answered, as we both finally set off into the night

CALCHESTER CITADEL, STEFFITH.

TRISTAN

THE OVERWHELMING SMELL OF ROTTING blackthorns greeted us as we neared the Citadel.

The place was bustling with activity in the dreary, grey morning, filled with people packing and harnessing their weapons, readying their armor for the day. Horses snorted and neighed angrily as we pushed our way past the noisy crowd, the air filled with the clanging of ringed steel and brushing of soft leather.

The armies at Steffith stationed themselves in the huge, vast fields, leaving the rest of our forces to be strategically planted around the rest of Endollon, dividing the hundred and twenty thousand men over the continent. The men were already in place since the night before, because armies could not teleport at will.

"We thought you both decided to kill each other," Deimos drawled lazily at the sight of us, clad in a sleek black leather as he buckled his expensive boots.

Neither Edwina nor I smiled.

"Sun should come up in an hour," Helios muttered, looking at the horizon as his skin glowed a bronzed gold. He slid a gilded breastplate over himself as his eyes continued to scan the landscape. The armor was inlaid with crimson swirling under the metal, crimson the very colour of blood.

To the far east, the darkness of the night had begun to yield to streaks of dull grey. My eyes travelled over to the men gathering in the courtyard of Calchester, testing their shields and the edges of their blades as they made the final checks.

"A lot of these men are going to die today," Eric said quietly, observing us both, dressed in steel and platinum grey. He had summoned his Trident, its spires gleaming sharp in the dim light.

I did not reply. Not a word.

There was nothing to say. Nothing to speak. Nothing stirred in me except for the gut wrenching horror, the wave of terror that twisted my insides.

None of these men would go back home after today.

My gaze flickered over the legions, at the brave men who had risen to our cries, to the call of our banners. All those courageous souls that wore different colors - blue, red, gold, green, white, purple... yet ready to fight in their hearts as one.