NINE|COLD

The wood was cold when I awoke,-Alone and afraid

-Alone and afraid.

How many hours had passed I did not know,
Where was the creature, what if it was still nearby?

My hand flew to the place where my neck and shoulder joined, and sharp jolt of pain flooded my body, releasing a ragged scream escape from my lips that send the crowd flying from the trees above me.

The beast, it hadn't killed me.
Though the events of that encounter weren't exactly clear to me, I remembered encountering a large grey wolf, running through the wood, then its jagged teeth clamping down upon my shoulder.

-And then... nothing, only the darkness that encapsulated my world. Wrapping around to surround me from every angle, swallowing me whole until I could no longer find my way.

There were no signs of any sort of life in the wood, apart from a few screeches of birds that flew overhead.

The one bronze dusted sky, had darkened significantly, it was now in the early hours of the morning, and a few stray stars winked at me through the thick mesh of branches above.

Daniel.

I have to get home.
-He'll be so angry.

It must be way past midnight, I was suppose to be home hours ago, what will he think?

What if he's worried?
What if he's looking for me?

What if he beats me for my tardiness when I return?
He would have every right to, I would deserve every strike that he would give me.

My head spun and my shoulder throbbed with pain as I slowly brought myself to my feet.

I limped through the wood in what I assumed was the direction of home, one hand covering the bloody mess that was my shoulder.

The darkness covered everything, no colour in the word, only the vague shapes of threes in the distance. Until the leaves under my feet changed to concrete as I found a road.

A street, only a block away from my house.

I ran. Feet pounding against the ground.

The house appeared in the distance, grey and unwelcoming, and the door let out an unholy screech as I slid it open.

The house was silent, eerily so, except for a rhythmic pounding coming from upstairs.

"Daniel..." I called, though my voice was barely a whisper, maybe I didn't want him to hear me.
-maybe that would be best.

A muffled grunt came from behind the door at the end of the  hall, our bedroom.

I climbed the last few stairs to the landing, slowly and quietly making my way to the source of the noise.

The banging became louder, and a small moan sounded.

What the fuck was going on?

"Daniel!" A pleasured scream erupted from behind the door, a females voice, tempting me forward, until my hand lay on the cold metal of the door handle.

He had someone else in there, was he cheating on me?

Had all those hidden phone calls in another room never actually been from work? Had they been from another woman?

Tears welled in my eyes at the thought of his infidelity. It couldn't be true, I would open up the door to reveal nothing, just a soundly sleeping Daniel, who would welcome me into his warm embrace.

Enough is enough, I would have to put my mind at ease, and the one way to do that would be to open the door.

So I did.

A girl,

She was sat upright in bed, her naked back to me as she rolled her hips into my Daniel.
Their bodies bare and interlocked.

Her blonde hair in a hot mess, that awfully familiar honey blonde hair.

-Tamsin.

A choked sob escaped my lips, as the tears began to fall, hot and salty.

I had to get out of there, it felt as though the walls were slowly closing in on me. Enough to suffocate a person with their close proximity.

My lungs were empty of air, and my heart empty of love.
The little I had left, drained until the organ shrivelled like a dying flower.
All that was left was black and charred, the colour of death and destruction.

They still hadn't heard me over the sounds of their own moans. I turned tail and ran, as fast as my legs would carry me.

I had no where, no where to go and no where to stay.
So I ran to the only place I knew.
-The diner.

I threw myself against it's heavy door, praying that they were unlocked.

But the doors didn't budge and instead I found myself rebounded onto the floor.

He cheated on me.
I had always stayed faithful to him, and he cheated.
He... cheated.

Daniel was no longer mine,
-maybe he never was.

But now, what did I have?
-I had nothing.

Nothing to my name and nobody to turn to.

Completely alone in this wretched world.
The only thing I had was the clothes on my back and the emptiness in my heart, which didn't exactly count for much.

As if on cue, the sky started to cry along with me, cool tears raining down upon the land.
Washing me clean of my boiling anger, but instead replaced by fierce, ugly tears that tracked down my face.
Thunder rumbled somewhere far off, and the air was cold. Sending chills through to my bones.
Winter was coming, time was passing.
No matter how much I wanted it to stay still, to go back to the way things were.
Back to when Daniel was still mine and I was blissfully unaware of his infidelity.
My life was moving on, no matter how much I wanted it to stay the same.

My hands wiped at my eyes, though my tears were long lost in the rain, leaving behind only black streaks of makeup, a face washed clean.

Everything underneath on show.
Every bruise.
Every scar.

Everything.

***
Don't forget to vote and comment!
-🍟