THIRTY|BEAST

There was a ringing in my ears

Accompanied by the constant, monotonous hum of static.
My head throbbed with a deep and dull ache, I touched my hand to my forehead and hissed.

It came away red.

It crawled down my face and soaked my clothes.

My breathing was held, constricted by the snakelike grasp of the seatbelt. The more I struggled the tighter it grew. A frustrated scream left my lips as I tried to rip the vile serpent from my body.

Struggling would get me nowhere. I fell still, the silence around me welcoming back the ringing that made my head feel as though it would explode.

The sound of my laboured breathing rebounded off of every crumpled wall of the car, until the sound of my own breath felt as though it was ringing too.

The world around me stopped spinning just enough for me to be able to undo my seat belt. My feet were clumsy and hands uncontrolled as I almost fell out of the car.

The car had rolled down a small embankment into the cusp of the woods.

I took my time, slowly making my way up the earthy slope. My hands slipped and the rough stones cut into my bloody palms.

I gathered myself enough to stand up straight as I clambered back onto the road., but no sooner had I before I was thrown to the floor, skidding for a few feet across the tarmac.

The hot breath of the wolf fanned my face with its rancid meat stench and the sharp tarmac cut into the side of my cheek as I tried to push myself as far away from the beast as I could.

It dragged its long, wet tongue along the length of my neck, baring it's off white teeth. A scream left my throat, thick and guttural and awful. I thrashed beneath its thick form but he was too big, too strong.

I barely noticed the car that screamed to a halt no less than twenty feet away, or the people that came rushing out.

I didn't dare look away, my eyes remained fixed on the beast hovering over me.

"Back down Darius!" Someone boomed, his voice deep and rich with power. For a second I could've sworn he sounded just like... no.
I couldn't be thinking about him, not now not ever.

The beast snapped his jaws at the men, not releasing his possessive stance over me.

"Back down now!" The man roared. "She is already spoken for!"

The great wolf stepped off of me, but he didn't dare run. He was too swollen with his own sense of pride that he started to pace back and forth between the men and I.

I pushed myself into a sitting position, sliding on my hands and knees until I was what I deemed to be a reasonably safe distance away but the creature didn't spare me a glance, his haunting eyes were transfixed upon the mountains of men before him.

My head spun with the thoughts of what was happening. Had happened. Would happen.
Too much.
Not enough.
I wanted to know more.

I wish I didn't know.

I craved to get back the blissful ignorance I once held, the childlike innocence was what I wanted, needed.

Yet a part of me still wanted more, the insatiable primal part, it begged for it, screamed for it even. It wanted all of the crazy shit and more. It thrilled it, took pleasure in it.

I had seen a man turn to a beast before my eyes.

I could never unsee that.
Though I wasn't sure I wanted too, somehow there was solace in the knowledge that I wasn't insane.

The ground vibrated with the earsplitting growl that left the wolf, his hackles raised in a vile display of self asserted dominance. I looked to the man, begging him with my eyes for something, anything. He met my eyes for a brief second, before his glowing gold eyes turned cold, back to the wolf.

He was a giant of a man, though not quite as tall as he was. Muscular in build, his physique aided the dominance that rolled off him in lush, thick waves. I relished in his essence, knowing that the wolf was nothing compared to this man.

"Darius, You may have been one of us once, but don't think for a second that I will hesitate to end you." He didn't shout. He didn't need to.

To that the creature only hissed and spat, inching closer to the man.

I saw it happen before I could even begin to shout a warning to the man. The wolf pulled back on its hind end, before launching itself at the mountain of a man.

But I didn't need to warn him, I didn't dare breath as the man leaped into the air, his skin seemed to almost glow for a second, before it tore apart to reveal the animal beneath. Skin shifted to fur in a whirlwind of broken bones and shifted muscles.

A frightened shriek found its way out, as I looked frantically between the other men. None of them so much as glanced in my direction, their eyes were fixed firmly on their leader. The dark wolf was even greater than the beast, his body more muscular, his eyes more menacing.

Teeth met teeth with ripping of bone and sinew.
The wolves collided, sharp jaws tearing at one another without preliminaries.

***
For those of you that have read my other books there is a very special guest appearance next chapter, from the description in this chapter can any of you guess who it is? (Hint: eyes)
Sorry this took so long, I've been trying to write this chapter for ages but writers block's a bitch.
Any thoughts, theories?
Anyways...
Don't forget to vote and comment!
-🍟