Alien Abduction

It was Tuesday, June 24, 1947. Ruby aimlessly rustled through a cornfield on her family's plantation, unconcerned at her white dress becoming dirty and disheveled. The air was heavy with humidity, and the abrasive cornstalks seemed to close in around her as she wandered through them, her red-beaded pigtails bouncing with each step. As Ruby pushed through the field, her attention was abruptly captured by an ethereal sight.

There, suspended above the ground, was a girl whose long-sleeved light blue dress and matching hat exuded an otherworldly elegance. A curled feather protruded from the hat. The girl's skin appeared untouched by the sweltering heat, its pallor an unusual contrast against the backdrop of the Texas summer. Short brown hair with a plastic-like texture framed her delicate face, while her eyes glowed an intense blue. Vibrating appendages extended from her back, creating a blur of movement accompanied by a distinctive buzzing sound.

Ruby's curiosity overcame any trepidation, and she found herself locked in a mutual gaze with this mysterious figure. The girl descended gracefully to the ground, her movements fluid and serene.

"Hello," the stranger greeted, her voice soft and melodious.

"Ma says I shouldn't talk to strangers." Ruby spoke slowly with a Southern drawl and a kind, curious tone.

The girl introduced herself. "My name is Io. Who might you be?"

"I might be Ruby."

"Now we're not strangers anymore." Io chuckled softly.

Ruby mustered a small smile. "I guess you're right. What'cha doin'?" she asked, relaxing her posture slightly.

"Exploring and gathering information," Io answered. "It's what I was created to do."

Ruby's eyes widened at the revelation. "Are you a robot?" she inquired, her body leaning forward with interest.

"You could say that," Io said, tilting her head slightly.

"Where are you from?" Ruby asked.

"I believe you might know the place as the Triangulum Galaxy."

"Nope. Never heard of it. Is that in outer space?"

"I suppose so, in the same sense that Earth is. Anyway, what brings you here?"

"This is my family's farm."

"What's your family like?" Io inquired gently.

"Ma's really mean, and Pa's off fightin' in the war," Ruby confessed, her shoulders slumping slightly.

Io's expression softened. "Do you have any friends?"

"Nah," Ruby said, her gaze dropping to the ground momentarily before meeting Io's eyes again. "Well, kinda. There's this boy who lives not far away. His name's Henry, but Ma don't want me talkin' to him."

"Why do you care what she thinks?"

"I dunno," Ruby replied, her fingers nervously fidgeting with the hem of her dress. "I really wanna be friends with Henry."

Io nodded thoughtfully. "I'm assuming you have met him before," she said. "If so, you have disregarded your mother's opinions in the past. Therefore, there are no reasons why you cannot continue to disregard your mother's opinions in the future."

Ruby considered Io's words. "Oh," she simply said.

"So, what's this boy like?" Io inquired eagerly.

"I think he's cute. He's real nice, too," Ruby said, a hint of a blush rising on her cheeks.

"Do you like him?" Io probed further.

"Yup. A lot," Ruby admitted, her body relaxing as she spoke her feelings aloud.