Added Company

It was early 1966 by Earth accounts when the ship arrived to the planet Qenjfis, which was surrounded by comprehensive orbital infrastructure and eight small, irregularly shaped natural satellites. Nathan had been to Qenjfis many times before and loved it. Ja, Io, and Ur had been there once and found it intriguing, although for disparate reasons. The others, however, knew not what to expect, and during the descent admired the natural wonders of the planet. Amid the rolling hills, jagged mountains, expansive meadows, and lush forests were numerous winding rivers and crystal-clear lakes, often lined with quaint towns and villages. Atop a vast plateau, a bustling metropolis came into view. Grand, stately buildings rose majestically, adorned with intricate carvings, elegant spires, and ornate balconies. Domed rooftops and grand archways were plentiful, as were sleek, avant-garde designs.

Nathan brought the ship to a landing near an elaborate fountain surrounded by decorative statues fashioned with meticulous detail from polished stone, gleaming metal, and luminescent glass. Nathan, Ruby, and Henry stepped out onto the cobblestone street, which was lined with floral gardens. Ornate wrought-iron benches and gazebos provided tranquil spots for contemplation and leisurely gatherings. The sky above was bathed in a soft blue hue, with fluffy white clouds drifting across the horizon. The air was crisp and invigorating, saturated with a higher concentration of oxygen than the humans were accustomed to, and filled with the melodious sounds of street musicians playing lively tunes.

Almost immediately, Nathan noticed a tall, slender, and graceful cat-like humanoid whose bright and shiny golden eyes stared so enticingly with desire. Her fur, patterned like that of a tiger, was so fine and well-groomed, but most of it was covered. She had long, flowing, black hair growing from her head and blowing gently in the wind. Her tail was long and beautifully laced with ribbons. Her body was remarkably supple and she moved fluidly with ease, confidently, and with a grace of her own. She wore a long, frilled, white dress, which she lifted slowly and seductively, first revealing her stockings, so long, so fine, and so white. Just above her stockings, a small bit of the fur on her legs was visible, and then, as she lifted her dress further, above that could be seen her long, exquisite, frilled white underwear. Her arms were mostly covered by long white gloves, although neither the gloves nor the sleeves of her dress were so long as to completely hide the fur on her arms. She gestured to Nathan to come to her. He walked across the street toward her. Ruby and Henry both followed behind.

"Change of plans," said Nathan. "You two can handle this on your own. I think you're ready. I have faith in you. I have other important business to attend to."

"But we don't know anything about the customs," said Henry.

"You'll figure it out quickly. You have a Universal Communicator™. Ask around. Most of the people here will understand if you're unfamiliar with social protocol. They're generally pretty open-minded and accepting. However, if you really need help, just ask Ur, or Ja, or even Io. But I have to go. Bye!"

"Bye-bye!" Ruby yelled to Nathan as he ran off. "Have fun!"

"Nathan's such a scumbag," said Henry. "I can't be the only one who recognizes it."

"Nope," replied Ruby. "We all do. Come on, let's go. It'll be nice without him for once."

Ruby and Henry returned to the ship to retrieve any one of Nathan's children for use as a guide. Their first choice was Ur.

"Nathan took off," said Ruby. "Please be our guide."

"Sure," said Ur. "But why me?"

"If it wasn't you, we'd have to get Ja or Io," said Henry.

"Say no more," said Ur. "I understand."

"So, what can you tell us about this planet?" asked Henry.

"Qenjfis is a thriving and prosperous world, home to the Sualget people," said Ur. "It's mostly peaceful, and has been for a long time. Personally, I rather like the fashion and theatre."

Cherry Blossom SnowOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara