New Home

Dalziel and Caoimhe gave Mia regular lessons in self-defense, drastically improving her fighting skills. In her free time, Mia read extensively on various topics that she believed would help her to achieve her goals. One morning, which happened to be the first of April, Mia was awoken by Dalziel. Caoimhe was not by her side.

"You'll be leaving today," Dalziel stated, his voice tinged with a mix of sorrow and resolution.

Mia sat up, confusion and a hint of fear etched on her face. "Is this some sort of joke?" she pleaded.

"I found a new home for you. Everything about the family seems to check out, and you should be fine."

Mia's heart sank. "But this is my home," she protested, her voice wavering with emotion.

"I know," Dalziel replied gently. "But this is no place for a child."

"Who'll be taking me in?"

"Helen and James Martella of Westminster."

"They're English?" Mia asked, unsure about the idea.

"Our enemy is their government, not the people," Dalziel clarified. "There are good and bad individuals in every society, including ours."

Trying to come to terms with the news, Mia nodded slowly. "Oh."

"I think of you like a daughter, but I could never be an adequate parent because my work is always going to be my priority. I'll still be keeping in contact, and if you want to continue working with us, you can. I do hope you'll be keeping up the good fight."

Her determination resurfaced. "I will," Mia promised. "I won't give up on my dreams."

Dalziel mustered a half-smile. "Good. Just don't get into too much trouble."

"Where is Caoimhe?"

Caoimhe entered the tent, her eyes red from crying. "I was here the whole time. I just couldn't bear to give you the news. I'm sorry," Caoimhe said, her voice breaking. "I'd really like you to stay, but Dalziel's right. You deserve a proper childhood."

"I'll be leaving you two alone," Dalziel said before leaving.

Caoimhe embraced Mia tightly, and tears flowed freely from both of them. "I love you," Caoimhe said.

"I love you, too," said Mia. "I really wish I could stay."

Caoimhe smiled sadly. "You're the daughter I want, but I'm not the mother you need."

"I couldn't ask for better."

"I'm really going to miss you," Caoimhe admitted, trying to smile through her sadness.

"'Twill be all right," said Mia. "I'll be keeping in touch, and I'll try visiting if I can."

"You should probably start packing," Caoimhe suggested, trying to compose herself. "I'll need to talk some things over with the others."

"I'll be fine," Mia assured her, mustering a small smile.

With a final hug and a heavy heart, Caoimhe left the tent, leaving Mia to collect her emotions in solitude. As she began to pack her belongings, the reality of the situation sunk in. A mixture of excitement for new possibilities and sorrow for leaving weighed on her young shoulders. But she knew deep down that this journey was necessary for her growth, and she was determined to make the most of it.

As she was brought by car from the airport to her new home, Mia observed her surroundings. She was surprised to see such a state of ruin. England wasn't always this bad, for wealthy conservative non-disabled neurotypical cisgender heterosexual Anglo-Saxon Protestant men anyway, although it had been in decline for a long time. She could tell that London had once been a thriving metropolis, but the devastation to its buildings and infrastructure from war and neglect was evident. The remains of buildings were covered with lichen and other hardened growths and many showed signs of structural decay. The city streets were pocked by potholes and strewn with litter, and detritus was piled up all around. Only the wealthiest parts of the London area were left relatively intact, and the sprawling estates of the rich and powerful were as luxurious and extravagant as they ever were.