Parting Ways

While Reinaldo was visiting Mars, Dalziel was detained at Kilmainham Gaol in Dublin, under Red Army supervision. Mia tried to negotiate arrangements to visit Dalziel, but the guards had been instructed not to allow any visitors until Reinaldo's return, so Mia was ordered to leave. Mia returned to El Leon, docked on the River Liffey, and arrived to her room to find Evangeline lying on the floor, wearing an oversized blouse and one sock, as well as a pink collar with a bell, while Sekhmet slept on her belly. Evangeline's eyes lifted from the book she held over her face, her expression serene. Removing the pacifier from her mouth, she addressed Mia in a voice that bore the wisdom of understanding. "You seem troubled."

Mia, burdened by the weight of her thoughts, hesitated before she spoke. "I don't know if I can keep doing this," she admitted with a hint of vulnerability. "I need you to be completely honest with me. Am I doing the right thing by working with Reinaldo?"

"Revolution that divests itself of ethical values thereby lays the foundation of injustice, deceit, and oppression for the future society."

"Is that really how you feel?" Mia inquired, a mix of curiosity and concern in her eyes.

"That was Emma Goldman," Evangeline clarified. "But I do agree wholeheartedly."

"What are you reading?" Mia inquired.

"My Disillusionment in Russia," replied Evangeline. "You wanted me to be more understanding of the sort of work you do, so I've been trying to read potentially relevant material."

Mia acknowledged the effort with a warm smile. "I've been meaning to read that," she admitted. "Lately, though, I haven't had much time for reading, or for much of anything not work-related."

Evangeline's response held a simplicity that contrasted with the complexities of Mia's world. "So quit."

Mia's eyes widened at the suggestion. "I can't just do that. After everything I've done, after coming so far."

Evangeline's response was measured, a gentle push toward self-reflection. "Sure you can. It doesn't mean you have to give up on trying to change the world, but if you're not happy with the way things are going, maybe you need to try a different approach."

Mia gently probed, "If I may ask, why are you on the floor?"

Evangeline's response came with a matter-of-fact simplicity. "I was trying to put socks on, and I fell down. Then I saw a book, and I started reading it."

A hint of worry creased Mia's brow. "You're not hurt, are you?"

Evangeline pondered for a moment, her brows furrowing slightly as she considered the question. "Hurt," she repeated. "Not that I'm aware of."

Mia's curiosity was coupled with a touch of amusement. "And you didn't bother to get up?"

"Get up," Evangeline echoed. "There were no urgent matters to attend to, and I had a book to read."

A touch of exasperation mingled with Mia's relief. "How long ago was that?"

"How long." Evangeline's gaze drifted upwards as she pondered the passage of time. "Maybe two or three hours. Sekhmet fell asleep, and I didn't want to disturb her."

Concern for Evangeline's well-being surged within Mia. "Have you remembered to eat and stay hydrated?"

Evangeline considered the question with a measured pause, her mind processing the information before responding. "I had some cannabis tea with lemon juice this morning, but I doubt that it was an adequate source of sustenance."

"It really isn't. You should eat something," Mia insisted, her worry transforming into a nurturing tone.

Evangeline acknowledged the suggestion with gratitude. "Thank you for reminding me. I suppose I should do that at the earliest opportunity."