Chapter 28 ~ Resurrection

Episode: Season 2, All Hell Breaks Loose Pt. 3

The following day was the hardest. I didn't eat anything. I didn't want to because what was the point anyway? What was life without Sam? I sat on a chair across from the bed Sam lied in, just watching him. Hoping, praying that somehow some way he would come back to us.

He couldn't be gone. He just couldn't. Dean and I took turns watching him. I sat there for hours with tears pouring down my cheeks, all the memories of the three of us flitting through my mind. I didn't want to hunt without Sam, I didn't want to deal with Dean without Sam, I didn't want to be without Sam. He'd been that one constant in my life for so long.

How could I be without that? Eventually, Bobby got me to eat something so Dean took my place beside Sam. I got a piece of bread from the kitchen and wolfed it down, that being the only thing I could make myself eat. I still wasn't hungry anyway. I was about to wander back into the bedroom then to sit with Sam when I heard Dean's voice. Being quiet, I stood by the doorway in the shadows, listening.

"You know, when we were little and you couldn't have been more than 5 you just started asking questions. How come we didn't have a mom? Why do we always have to move around? Where'd Dad go? He'd take off for days at a time," he recounted to him and I could hear the pain in his voice as he talked, "I remember I begged you, "Quit asking, Sammy. "Man, you don't wanna know." I just wanted you to be a kid. Just for a little while longer,"

I frowned, feeling the onslaught of tears brim in my eyes again.

"I always tried to protect you. Keep you safe. Dad didn't even have to tell me. It was just always my responsibility, you know? It's like I had one job. That one job. And I messed it up. I blew it. And for that, I'm sorry," he continued, the anguish evident in his voice as he wiped his tears away before being replaced with fresh ones.

"I guess that's what I do. I let down the people I love. I let Dad down. And now, I guess I'm just supposed to let you down too? How can I?" he cried and I felt my heart break shatter into even more pieces, "How am I supposed to live with that? What am I supposed to do? Sammy..."

I walked into the room then and embraced Dean from where he sat. Without hesitation, he wrapped his own arms around my middle and let out a strangled cry into my stomach.

"What am I supposed to do? What am I supposed to do?" he cried over and over into the soft material of my t-shirt.

I ran my fingers through his short, blond hair, letting my own tears roll down my cheeks. It felt like someone had stabbed a knife in my heart and just kept twisting it around and around. Would that ever heal? We stayed like that for a while before Dean excused himself to leave, making me to stay with Sam. He didn't even say where he was going, just that he had something he needed to take care of and that he'd be back soon. Something miraculous happened after that.

In fact, I don't even know what to say about it. I was in the chair almost asleep when it happened. I heard a gasping noise beside me and I glanced up. My eyes widened as Sam's own flew open. He bolted upright in the bed and I let out a tiny shriek.

"Sammy?" I asked in a small voice and he turned to me.

His eyes were the same brown they had always been - they weren't black like a demon's.

"Parker?" he asked and I let out a sigh of relief, throwing myself in his arms.

Tears of joy ran down my cheeks as he held onto me and I pushed back from him to look at his face. He was confused, I could tell but he was alive.

"Sam, you're okay." I choked out, smiling through my tears.

Just then, Dean burst in, grinning widely when he saw Sam. He didn't even look surprised that he was alive. He just grabbed him up in a hug and Sam hugged him back.

"Dean, what happened to me?" Sam asked him when he pulled away.

I was about to explain when Dean cut me off, "Well, what do you remember?"

"I- I saw you, Parker, and Bobby and then I felt this pain. This sharp pain, like white hot, you know. And then you started running at me and that's about it," Sam told him.

"Yeah, that kid stabbed you in the back. You lost a lot of blood. You know, it was pretty touch and go for a while," Dean informed him and I arched an eyebrow at the older brother.

Sam clearly wasn't convinced though, "But, Dean, you can't patch up a wound that bad,"

"No, Bobby could." he told him, ending the conversation.

I sent Dean a warning look, letting him know we'd be talking about this later. He had some serious explaining to do.