Chapter 36 ~ No Date For the Dance

Episode: Season 3 - Red Sky At Morning Pt. 2

Later that night, there was another death. Same scenario - the victim had been seeing a Ghost Ship before dying. We ended up finding another victim but too late - we couldn't save him. Bela found the house we were squatting in though...with information. Apparently, the Ghost Ship had a name, the Espírito Santo. The sailor who owned it had been hung for treason and his hand cut off.

A hand that now resided in the Maritime Museum. A museum that just happened to be having a formal party. Bela got Gert to obtain invitations for us all. So against our better judgement, we all got ready to go. I went up to one of the empty rooms upstairs and slipped into the dress Bela had obtained for me. The material was made of ebony taffeta with a black mini-dress underneath, sequins lining the top of it.

Slipping it on easily, I put on my high heels before coming to stand in front of the cracked mirror in the corner. I sucked in a breath as I saw my reflection. Wow. For a pest, that Bela girl had good taste in dresses. Applying eyeliner around my eyes and fashioning my hair into a bun, I was finally ready to come down. I admit, the dress made me a bit self-conscious.

Never in my life have I ever dressed up this much - not even for cases.

"What is taking so long? Sam's already halfway there. With his date," Dean called up to me.

I almost laughed, imagining him pacing downstairs as he waited on me. Bela, Sam, and his date had already left half an hour ago. Sam had made Dean wait on me, much to his chagrin. I glanced down at my dress then and cringed, feeling ridiculous. It made me feel like such a...such a...girly girl.

"So not okay with this!" I called back to him, frowning down at the dress.

"Oh, just come down already!" he shouted back.

I rolled my eyes before stepping out of the shadows the doorway had created and slowly, down the stairs, holding my dress up slightly so as not to step on it. When I finally made it to the bottom, I glanced up to see green eyes watching my every move. I bit my lip, cringing.

"All right. Get it out. I look ridiculous," I rolled my eyes, not even really wanting to hear the words he'd have to say about it.

"Not exactly the word I'd use..." he said softly, eyes glued to me.

I blushed scarlet, letting my hair fall around my face to hide it. Okay, so was not expecting that reaction. We left in the Impala then and headed to the museum. Bela immediately gravitated to Dean, wrapping her arm around his and leading him away. I tried not to let it bother me but it did. It made my blood boil, in fact.

I shook it off, though, and headed over to the bar. Ordering a drink, I leaned back and guzzled the whole glass. But that didn't stop the feelings from overcoming me. My dark brown eyes watched him as the pair began to dance amongst the other couples on the floor. The tux fit him perfectly, the material clinging to his frame. I frowned at my own thoughts and turned away.

But my attention was quickly turned back to the scene when I heard Bela giggle. A smile was plastered to her face as she talked animatedly to Dean. His own expression was unreadable though. Bela's blue eyes glanced over at me then and she purposefully pecked him on the cheek. My frown deepened. I couldn't continue to watch this.

Not wanting to become drunk, I left my glass of alcohol unfinished on the counter and walked out, passing Sam and a flirty Ms. Case by. Night air instantly enveloped me and I breathed it in, grateful for the change. The boys had parked the car far away from the Museum so as not to draw attention to ourselves. As I recall, it was out in a field. Dean had complained about the long walk back but Sam insisted upon it so he didn't question him anymore. I made my way there, picking up the train of my dress so as not to get it dirty.

Although what did it honestly matter anyway? Sam was too preoccupied with Ms. Case and Dean with Bela. They hadn't even noticed I'd left. I glanced up briefly at the stars in the night sky as I walked, my heels threatening to stick to the soft earth. The house was far away now, the distant buzz of people all talking at once just fading away now. It was solitude but I loved it.

It was peaceful. The Impala came into view then and I let out a relieved sigh, ready to crawl into the backseat. I took the pins out of my hair and let it fall down in ebony cascades down my back.

"Much better," I mumbled to myself.

I stopped cold then when another voice spoke up behind me.

"That's just what I was thinking."