7 Minutes of a Memory

Please Comment! :) Thanks!

------------------------------------------------------

:: Girl::

The sound of a bell went off as we walked out of the pharmacy. The air was sharp but cool. A couple pasted us, holding hands. A dog barked across the street, pulling it’s owner behind him.

“Boy or girl?” I heard Austin say.

“What?” I asked him. Not sure what he was asking me.

He pointed to the dog across the street, “The dog. Do you think it’s a boy or a girl?”

“Hmm… I think boy. What about you?”

“Same.” he said as we passed another dog. He looked at it. “Girl.” He said.

I paused and examined the dog for a few seconds. “Boy.” I said,

He raised an eyebrow. “You sure?”

I grinned. “Only one way to find out.” I walked up to the owner, a middle aged woman, who was sitting on a bench. Her dog sitting on ground next to her, looked to be terrier of some kind. “Excuse me.” I told her.

She looked up from the paper she was reading and smiled at me. “Yes dear?”

“My friend and I was just admiring your dog and was wondering what gender it was.” I pointed back to Austin.

She looked at him then back at me. “Two seem to be more than friends.”

An image flashed through my mind. A memory. OF when I was a kid. It was fourth of july and my family was having a bbq in the back yard. I was playing with this boy. He was chasing me around the yard, both of us laughing.

Through the laughter, I hear my mom say, “Those kids will probably grow up and fall in love with each other.”

“Better him than anyone else.” My dad conforms..

A man, I assume is the boy’s dad, says. “My boy has grown attached to her, Vince.”

“I’d rather have Bae as my son in law than Mike Tucker..” My dad responses. Mike Tucker was a big troublemaker in grade school. He always pick on everyone, He moved to New York four years ago. Guess my dad has nothing to worry about. considering I don’t remember a little boy named Bae.

The boy, Bae, finally caught up to me. He tackled me to the ground. Laying beside me on the cool, soft grass, he turn on his side and whispered something in my ear. “1-3-4.” My younger self tackled him into a hug and shouted “1-3-4!”

Then everything faded back to the present and I was looking at a slightly worried dog owner. “Are you alright honey?” She asked.

“Oh, yes. I’m fine. I just spaced out I guess.” I answered.

“I think you should go home and rest. Drink lots of fluids.” She instructed.

I couldn’t help but smiled. “Yes ma’am. I think I’ll do just that. Have a good night.” I turned and walked back to Austin who was leading up against a lamp post.

“So what did she say?” He asked, oblivious to the fact that I spaced out.

“Um,” I stalled. Damn it! I didn’t get the gender answer. “Girl.” I said. “She said it was a girl.”

A huge smiled formed on his lips. “What do I get for winning?” He asked, teasingly.

A smiled formed on me lips too. “What do you want?”

“Ice cream.” He said.

I laughed slightly. “Ice cream it is.”

As we started walking again, I heard lady with the mystery gender dog yell. “Young man.” Austin and I turned. “You best take good care of your girlfriend.”

My cheeks started to heat up as she said it. Beside me austin nudged my arm with elbow. “Don’t worry.” He yelled back. “I will.”

I rolled my eyes and turned away from the lady. “You crazy, Superman.” I paused. What? Did I called him superman?

“Superman?” I heard him say. “No one but my parents call me that.”

“Sorry. I don’t why I called you that. It just slipped out.” I told him, still confused on where on earth I got the idea of calling him Superman.

He looked at me for a few moments, “Doesn’t matter. Maybe you knew me when I lived here before.”

“Perhaps” I considered this. Maybe I did knew him before he left. “This way.” I said. Walking towards the park.

“You want to take a midnight stroll?” He asked with an amused smiled on his face.

“Ice cream’s through here.” I said, gesturing to the park.