Chapter 11

I slide open the balcony door, stepping out into the cool breeze of the night. Leaning against the railing i look down, the back garden of the mansion really is gorgeous. I'm glad the room i am in overlooks it all.

With rose bushes of red and white as the colour scheme, a water fountain is set in the middle with lights inside, making the water sparkle. Fairy lights hang from the surrounding perfectly trimmed trees, an outdoor setting sits in front of it all overlooking the garden. The front garden is similar, but this one definitely beats it. Both gardens are well looked after, they both have such a 'fairy tale' feel to it.

It's too bad this life isn't a fairy tale.

Today's events and Esther's words are the things keeping me up tonight. I just can't get her words out of my head. Her words, constantly playing over and over again like a broken record in my mind.

I can't seem to make sense of Arlo. He acts like he couldn't care less about me, but then completely saves my ass and worries about me. The looks he gives me, the stares. It's as if he is staring at me , as in the real me, and i don't like that. Not one bit.

He's had a rough time.

He cares about you.

He trusts you.

He wanted to make sure that you ate.

You're both alike in some ways.

You both want someone to understand. To get it.

I let out a frustrated sigh, my body slumping further against the railing.

Suddenly feeling a presence nearby, as if somebody is watching me. I cautiously look around. My narrowed gaze focusing upon a dark shadowed figure sitting on a chair on the balcony next to me.

"It is just me."

Breathing out, i nod my head.

"How long have you been sitting there?" I ask Arlo, then looking back out to the lit up garden.

"I was out here before you," i hear his reply.

I don't answer him, i just continue to look at the sparkling lights of the garden. Completely mesmerized in the beauty of it all.

"Beautiful, isn't it?" I hear his soft spoken voice, as if he is also mesmerized.

His voice snaps me out of my daze. Recoiling backwards, i start to turn back towards the door, not wanting to be here while Arlo's here too. 

I hear quick shuffling and a light switch.

"Don't go."

I freeze in my steps. His voice is so soft, not sounding one bit like the Arlo i have come to know. My hand slips off the cold door handle, i turn my head to see Arlo leaning against his balcony railing  facing me. A dim light now surrounds his balcony, letting it shine down onto his face.

"You do not have to go," he says again. His eyes looking almost desperate, his hands gripping the railing tightly.

I frown confusedly at him, his eyes watching my every move.

"Arlo-" I begin, only to be cut off by his voice.

"Why do you come out here every night?" He questions me.

"How do you know that-"

"Why are you out here every night?" He once again cuts me off.

I feel my frown soften as i turn my head towards the star filled sky and the magic of the garden.