Chapter 14

***

ARLO

"Were we going to do the whole 'old switch - a - roo' trick? Because I'm telling ya, i-"

Maggies's humouress voice fades away as my eyes connect with a car appearing through the murky darkness and heading straight for us. Straight for her.

I think i yell out something, my arm flies out in front of her, just wanting, needing to protect her in some way. Her face is one of pure horror once she sees what is coming our way.

It is too late to try to do anything, the car hits us with so much force we are practically thrown from it. It happened so quick. I could not believe how quick it happened.

The part that feels like an eternity is the rolling.

We are continuously tossed about, the car not wanting to give up on it's torture. By the time the car does stop, i am way too disorientated to even think about what happened, to think about what injuries i may have.

With my head spinning, my hands find their way to my seatbelt on their own. The belt is jammed in place as my hands pull and fiddle with the buckle to free myself. My mind is completely elsewhere, my body is the only one reacting to the crash.

A pain filled scream fills the car, instantly snapping me out of my daze. My head snaps to the side where the sound was heard. My heart going to my throat. My hands frantically pull and tug on the belt until i finally snap the buckle.

I scramble my way to the drivers side to a fearstricken Maggie. My hand reaches out to hold her arm as i get in front of her, she jumps from my touch. Her eyes are wide and her breathing is fast, small whimpers escape between her lips. When her eyes finally do focus on mine, there is a slight look of relief before fear and shock takes it's place again.

"Hey, hey. Maggie, it is okay, breathe. I am here. I am here now," i try to calm her down. It does not help, she continues to hyperventilate, her focus no longer on me as if she cannot even hear me. Can she hear me?

"Maggie! Breathe... shh... Maggie. Can you hear me? It is okay. Shh," my voice is louder this time, still trying to sound soothing for her.

My hands are once again frantic as i try to pull the seatbelt off of her. The belt is so tight and jammed making it cut into her, making me go into full blown panic.

My eyes fly back up to hers as her whimpers fill the car once again. Her eyes are closed as my hands stop what they were doing and instead go to the sides of her face.

"No no no no," my rushed words speak out, while i move her hair out of her face. A big gash wound covers her temple, blood trickling down her soft features and covering her golden hair.

Her eyes fly open again as i look at her blood on my fingertips, wishing this blood was never on her. Wishing this never happened.

"Maggie, Maggie," i try to ground her. "Can you hear me?"

"Yes," her pained filled voice fills my ears making my heart drop from the sound.

"Stay with me, okay? You are going to be fine. I will get you out of here." I affirm her, trying to convince myself. My hands continue to hold the sides of her face.