Chapter 12

I did not have any time to think over his cryptic words, since Clark grabbed my hand roughly and pulled me against his chest, grasping my hand tightly in a splotchy, white knuckled grip. "I am going to do it." My eyes widened, and before I could blink, before I could do anything to persuade him not to use his powers, the room disappeared.

Soon I was unceremoniously dumped onto a grassy hilltop. I groaned, my chest and body completely colliding with the hard ground. "I am sorry." Clark panted then shrugged, standing up and surveying his surroundings. "It did the trick, though. We got out in time."

I glared at him. "Sure, it did, but you did not have to waste your ability, your power reserve, your stamina, just for that. We could have just ran, I saw a door down the hall."

Clark huffed incredulously. "Can you not be so condescending?" He whined, crossing his arms and leaning closer to me, "I did what I had to do, okay? Even if we reached the door, how will you know how to escape the building? What if the door was locked? And there's probably other people, such as guards or something. Katherine is not an idiot."

"I know." I nodded. "But I could have easily handled it on my own." I protested, trying to assert myself while pushing myself up the ground but wobbling slightly on my weakened knees.

"Yeah, as if." Clark scoffed and rolled his eyes. "Her remote was rendering you helpless, so stop spouting lies. We know that she can easily subdue you with just one press of the button." Clark argued. "And look, even now! You are still shaking from the after shocks."

I crossed my arms. "Whatever." I rolled my eyes, and then promptly collapsed again. I shot a warning look at Clark, but he said it anyways as he helped me up.

"Told you so." Clark stated, grinning. I wrinkled my nose and turned my back on him, looking at the lake on my right. It glistened in the bright sun, and I concluded that it was probably noontime. Turning to my left, I noticed a large grassy field, and I sat down.
"Where are we, anyways?" I asked. Clark looked relieved that I stopped arguing and sat down next to me, twirling a piece of grass around his fingertips.

He sighed. "We are at a small park, not too far away where Katherine found us. I am surprised that I could travel this far, since I think her place is a greater distance away. Do you think I have exceeded my limit?" Clark wrinkled his brow, staring off into the distance.

"I do not know..." I muttered, trailing off. "But Katherine did say that our powers will become stronger as we use them and as time passes. Maybe that happened to you? Especially after all that teleporting you did over these past few days."

Clark's eyes brightened. "Cool!" He exclaimed, turning towards me with excitement in his features. I nodded weakly, trying to seem happy for him, but I must have failed because his gaze grew concerned. "Adryn, what is wrong?"

"I- Clark, do you think that I got more powerful?" I whispered, and he winced.

"I do not know." He asked, his voice hushed. "Do you think so? I think it is possible, after all..." He caught drift of my expression. "But you do not think that it is a good thing."

"No, I do not." I agreed, nodding.

"Don't what?" A voice popped out, and I recognized the boy. "I suppose you remember me from earlier. Travis." He said abruptly, holding a hand out for us. I weakly shook it, then turned away. Clark did not bother, staring up at him with something in his eyes.

I smiled at Travis, who looked uncomfortable at Clark's stare. "I am Ardyn, and that is Clark." I introduced, pointing at a unnaturally quiet boy. "He is usually not like this." I muttered, shrugging.

Travis relaxed, nodding. "I'm just going to cut to the chase, then. I am Efferent, but you probably figured that out already." He chuckled, but we did not join. "Anyways, I am here to help. I think you two could use some help, and I can give it to you. I am trained in this matter."

"What are your motives, and where did you come from?" Clark asked.

"I am Efferent as well, and I just wanted to help fellow family. I came from a safe haven, a shelter especially housing Efferents. I am here to bring you there. There are more of us, there, safe and hidden from the world."

"And so you were sent by them? How many Efferents are there?" I asked, amazed at the prospect of shelter. Clark looked unsure, standing besides me.

"I am the third, and you two are the fourth and fifth." Travis smiled, his eyes carrying a saddened tinge. "We are not much, but we stick together. Family, remember?"

Clark finally spoke. "We are not your family." Travis did not even flinch, his smile still remaining on his face. I elbowed Clark, who shook his head at me, narrowing his eyes at Travis.

"All right then." Travis concluded, clasping his hands together. "Would you two like to come? Of course, you two may discuss matters now. I will head down the hill. Join me in ten minutes, and if not, I will have to resort to other means." He did not say the ending like a threat, but I took it as one and nodded solemnly.

"I do not trust him." Clark immediately hissed, burning holes with his stare at Travis's receding back. I frowned, not understanding.

I shook my head. "I think he is trustworthy, on the contrary. He showed us his power, and as he said, he is Efferent as well. He can't easily turn us in or harm us, since he's in as much danger as we are." Clark scoffed. "Besides, he saved us from Katherine!"

Clark rolled his eyes. "That's exactly why!" He exclaimed, pointing at Travis who sat under a tree. "Can't you see that?" When I did not reply, he sighed. "How can you be so oblivious?"

"Oblivious? Maybe you are the one who is just reading too much into the lines!" I fought back. "You trusted me easily, why not Travis? What did he ever do to you? He is just trying to help us, why can't you see that?" I threw his words back at him, and he stiffened, spinning around to look at me directly.

"Because Katherine knew him."