Chapter Fifteen

Hope's thoughts wandered to the enjoyable day she had spent with Pierce, as Esther flitted around readying her for dinner. It was still odd for her to be catered to and pampered instead of being the one doing the catering, but it was refreshing to sit back and have time to think. She was actually looking forward to dinner tonight, oddly excited at the prospect of seeing Pierce again. Today he had felt like something more than a confusing opponent in this odd game she had been forced into. He had actually felt more like a friend.

When Esther had placed the last pin in her hair and declared her ready, Hope leaned forward and rummaged through her jewelry box until she found the ruby necklace her mother had given her on their last visit. She quickly clasped it into place on her neck, feeling the heavy stone fall just below her collarbone. She quickly surveyed herself in the looking glass and was pleased by the results—she had never noticed before how pretty she actually was. Of course, she had always thought Noelle was beautiful but had never imagined she could look just like her!

Gathering herself after one final glance in the mirror, she left her bedchamber and headed anxiously to the dining room. As she entered the large room she noticed not one but two figures stand as she entered. Briefly, her eyes flicked to Pierce before looking back at the stranger standing next to him. The man was not quite as tall or as broad as Pierce but he definitely had an imposing presence. He had dark hair and wicked good looks. Though once again, she found even his looks lacking in comparison to Pierce's. When he looked into her eyes, as he reached for her hand, she was surprised to see their striking contrast of pale blue against his tanned skin.

He placed a soft kiss on her hand before saying, "Pleased to meet you, Lady Noelle, I'm Lord Martineau, Pierce's oldest and closest friend. Did I mention that I am also his most handsome?" There was a twinkle in his eye as he spoke.

"Apparently his most conceited as well, but pleased to meet you nonetheless."

She was surprised when Pierce threw back his head and laughed. "Seems to me that she has you pegged, dear friend." Lord Martineau just scowled before taking his seat.

Pierce was at Hope's side, where he gently took her hand and placed it on his arm, before walking her around to the other side of the long table to help her into her seat. "Well said, my little minx. Elliot's ego can use some deflating once in a while."

Hope arched one perfectly shaped brow, "It's no wonder you two are such good friends. It seems to me you have much in common."

He leaned in close to her ear as he pushed in her chair. "And you, miss, have a sharp tongue."

She looked up at him, an innocent expression on her face. "I prefer to think of it as an honest one." He just rolled his eyes and went back to his seat across the table from hers, feeling invigorated by their verbal sparring.

Just as he had resumed sitting, his mother walked into the room and he was once more on his feet, but before he even had the chance to go escort her to her own seat, Elliot had whisked by him and had helped himself to the honors.

"Ah, can I just tell you how lovely you are looking tonight, Duchess?"

Caroline laughed and swatted Elliot's arm, "Oh do stop flirting with me, Lord Martineau, I'm much too old for the likes of you."

Elliot reared back, feigning shock. "Too old? Never. Too beautiful? That is much closer to the truth."

Caroline reached up and patted his cheek as she chuckled, "You are quite the flatterer, now why are you wasting those pretty words on an old lady like me when there are young ladies galore for you to charm in London?"

"That's the crux of it—it is much more fun and safe to flirt when you are not concerned with said flirting being misconstrued as a marriage proposal." He pulled out her chair and waited while she sat and made herself comfortable before going back to his own seat.