Chapter Eighteen

Hope was agitated the entire next day. When she wasn't fretting about the upcoming ball that evening and the dancing that she would be required to do, she was busy trying not to think of Pierce and the unsettling feelings she had for him. The day drug on in endless monotony; while the men gallivanted around participating in such endeavors as archery, shooting, and riding, the women found their entertainment in what Hope found to be extremely dull and tedious pastimes—embroidery and gossiping. She had no idea who lady such and such with the dreadfully long teeth was, nor lady so and so who had a penchant for slurping when she took her tea, so to dull the boredom she sat back and daydreamed about her writings that she had been severely neglecting since arriving at Ridgecrest Manor.

She was relieved when it was announced that it was time to begin preparations for the ball. She was also greatly relieved to have gone the whole day without a single glimpse of Pierce. She knew tonight she would have to fake like she enjoyed his company, or at least tolerated it, long enough for the engagement to be announced and the congratulations given. She wondered to herself how long she would have to be there before she could politely make her excuses and leave. She hoped that she would find some way to be able to escape the ball early.

The dress she was to wear to the ball was exquisite; its ivory skirts were overlaid with gold silk, the bodice and sleeves being made of the same shimmering gold silk as well. It hugged her every curve, just as if it had been made for her, not Noelle. She knew immediately when she had chosen to wear it, that the amber necklace Pierce had given her would match it perfectly. She had a strong desire to wear the gift, knowing it would complete her ensemble, but her pride prevented her from putting it on. The last thing she wanted to do was give him the pleasure. Instead, she opted for the simple ruby pendant of her mother's, hoping it would prove her point.

And indeed, it did just that. When Pierce arrived at her door to pick her up, the first thing he did was look down at the offending necklace and snarled, "Why in the heavens are you wearing that?"

"You don't like my dress?" Hope asked innocently.

"It'snot that. Your dress is beautiful. Why aren't you wearing the necklace I gave you? It would go perfectly with that gown."

She reached up and clasped the ruby in her hand. "I suppose I just thought this would look better."

"Perhaps you are just trying to incense me," he pointed out.

"Why would my choice of jewelry cause you any concern?"

"It'snot your jewelry that concerns me, it's your attitude. Now hurry up and go put my necklace on. We must not keep everyone waiting."

"I am perfectly capable of deciding what jewelry I would like to wear."

He turned her around and lightly tapped her on the rear end, shocking her. She turned to him and gasped, "Are you always so controlling?"

"Are you always so uncontrollable?"

"I think, Your Grace, that you are the only one who has a hard time managing me. Maybe you should rethink this arrangement."

"Noton your life. Now be quick."

By the time Hope returned, the sparkling amber teardrop necklace in place on her delicate throat, Pierce was anxious to put their fight behind them and to enjoy the evening. He could hardly wait to hold her in his arms, to dance with her as he looked into her captivating eyes that so perfectly matched the stones hanging from her throat.

But he should have known the little hellcat would endeavor to make the evening anything but enjoyable. The minute she stepped into the ballroom, all heads turned to stare. He noticed the look of interest that crossed many gentlemen's faces, and he couldn't say he blamed them. Noelle was by far the most beautiful girl in attendance. He watched as her eyes widened with wonder as she took in the elegant scene before her.