Chapter Twenty-five

Pierce could not wipe the silly grin off his face the entire way back to Mayfair. The American sat in the seat across from him in his carriage, while Hope sat right next to him. He felt her leg pressing against his and he could not stop his body from reacting to her presence.

The drive was relatively short and all three passengers were completely lost in their own thoughts. Hope sat nervously chewing on her bottom lip, trying to ignore the press of Pierce's muscular thigh against her own. Every bounce of the carriage threw their bodies into further contact with one another and it was enough to distract her from almost anything else. She was nervous and unprepared for the scene that was sure to take place at the Parrish residence. Noelle'ssecret was going to come out for her entire family to know, and she doubted the earl would be the slightest bit pleased to hear of the charade and to learn that his only daughter was wed to an untitled American. She cringed at the thought of facing the earl and what his reaction would be.

Soren watched out the window in deep thought, his excitement at seeing his beloved Noelle almost more than he could contain, though if he was being honest with himself, he was more than apprehensive about meeting and explaining himself to her father, the earl.

Pierce was by far the most jovial of all, though each of them kept their thoughts and feelings to themselves. It was as if all of his prayers had been answered when the man named Soren had shown up at the inn tonight. Relief was too tame a word to describe the feelings he felt at learning he would no longer be honor-bound to marry Noelle. His heart soared with that knowledge; he was now free to do as he wished. He knew that it was not socially acceptable or fitting of his position as the Duke of Kerrington to take a common serving girl fora wife, but seeing Hope tonight and feeling his heart swell with love and longing at the sight of her, made him not give a fig about any of those expectations placed upon him.

He could not wait to be alone with her, to kiss her warm mouth and to proclaim his love for her. Then he would arrange their own trip to Gretna Green so he could make her his wife as quickly as possible, consequences be damned. He knew the ramifications his actions would have in society would be immense, but neither he nor Hope were concerned with the ton and what they thought, and he was sure as long as they had each other, they could weather any storm.

As soon as they pulled up in front of the Earl of Brattondale'stownhouse, Soren stepped out of the carriage and Pierce promptly turned to Hope, taking her face into his hands, "Ah minx, there's so much that we need to talk about. Let's just get through this and then we need to find somewhere to be alone, somewhere we can have a discussion." Pierce leaned forward and brushed her lips briefly with his own, withdrawing quickly before he could let the fire that sparked between them ignite and consume him. He helped her from the carriage and the three of them went to the door and knocked, waiting for the butler to answer.

As soon as the butler opened the door he brusquely insisted it was too late for company and tried to rudely shoo them away. Pierce held firm and said, "We realize it is late but we are here on urgent business. I recommend you inform Lady Noelle that we are here at once, and you might think to inform the earl as well."

"But Your Grace, they have all retired for the night."

"Trust me when I say that I am well aware of the late hour and that I do not care. See that they are woken at once or I will do it myself." When the butler realized the seriousness of his threat, he quickly, if not agitatedly, complied.

Pierce, Soren, and Hope were shown to the drawing-room to wait, while the servants went to rouse the house's occupants. Barely ten minutes went by before the earl came storming through the door bellowing,"What is the meaning of all this?"

The three of them rose from their positions, as Noelle came up behind her father, rubbing her eyes sleepily before focusing them on the guests in front of her. The minute her eyes settled on Soren's she began to swoon. Soren ran forward just in time to catch her as she gave out completely.