Chapter Nineteen

"Excuse me, ladies and gentleman, I have an announcement to make." Pierce spoke loudly, then waited while the talking died down before continuing, "I just wanted to let you all know that I have fallen madly in love with the most beautiful, charming lady in all of England, and fortunately for me, I have asked her to become my wife to which she has agreed."

The cheers and hollers of excitement that went out couldn't seem to block the sound of Hope's heart beating in her ears. The flowery words of Pierce's announcement confused her. She knew he was just trying to save face, to keep up appearances, but his words cut straight to her heart. She desperately longed to hear him speak those words, but not in jest, and it had only further hurt her to hear the words he spoke knowing they were a lie. He pulled her close as toasts were made on their behalf, but she just stood stiffly at his side, hoping the attention would end so she could slip away and be by herself.

Finally, when she could take it no more, she grabbed Pierce's jacket sleeve and whispered in his ear, "I've got to go. Please excuse me."

He turned worried eyes on her. "Is everything alright?"

"Of course not, now please let me sneak off to the lady's retiring room for a moment for some privacy." He reluctantly let her go and watched as she half fled out of the room, amidst whispering and murmuring.

AsHope fled, she was half-tempted to go to her room and leave the ball completely behind, but she knew that would just cause a bigger scene than the one she just had. Instead, she went to the retiring room and prayed that it wouldn't be overly crowded. She was surprised to notice only one other person in the room as she entered until she realized that other person was Eliza. The woman sat perched on a pink velvet stool, her legs crossed daintily and a conniving smile on her face.

She took one look at Hope's tear-streaked face and said in a sugary voice, "Oh child, whatever is the matter? Surely you aren't upset that you are to marry the most eligible bachelor in all of London are you?"

Hope just stared at her chewing on her bottom lip nervously. She did not trust the girl and hadn't a clue what her motives were. "I just came for a bit of privacy. Do you mind?" She walked past her and tried to make her way behind the dressing screens that had been set up for privacy.

Eliza reached one hand out and grasped Hope's arm sharply, pulling her toa halt. "No need to get snooty with me. If one of us should be upset, it is I. You have managed to steal the one thing I want, and I fully intend to get him, regardless if he marries you or not."

"I didn't steal anything. I didn't even know anything about you until a few days ago, and I'm sure Pierce will do as he pleases. If you are who he wants then I am sure he will find a way to have you."

"Enough!"Both girls looked up in shock to see an outraged Pierce filling the doorway.

Elizaabruptly released Hope's arm. "You can't be in here. It's highly inappropriate."

"Ido not give a fig about proprieties right now. All I care about is talking to Noelle. Now kindly leave us."

"Pierceyou can't mean that. What about us?"

"There is no us, not now and not ever. If you do not leave now I will not hesitate to throw you out."

"But..."Pierce reached for her then, as if he fully intended to go through with his threats. Eliza did the only smart thing she could do at that moment and made a hasty exit. As soon as she was gone and the door had shut firmly behind her, Pierce walked over and scooted a small dressing table in front of the door.

"There, that should allow us a few moments of peace." He walked over and reached for Hope but she recoiled.

"Why are you here?" she asked wearily.