Chapter Seventeen

Tucker had just helped tie a fresh cravat around Pierce's neck beforehelping him slip into his black tailcoat. As always, he looked immaculate before stepping out of his room. He had been worried about Noelle ever since his mother had informed him that she had taken ill at the beginning of tea that afternoon and had wanted to check on her more than once since then, but something had always detained him. He scowled as he thought of one of those impediments. Eliza had found him on his way back to his room after their ride that afternoon. She had pressed herself against him, trailing circles over his arm as she looked at him demurely through lowered lashes. He knew she was trying to play coy but he could see right through her. Beneath her mock innocence lay a conniving woman and he knew that there was no way he was going to fall into her trap again. He felt foolish for ever having done so in the first place.

He had tried to dismiss her and escape to his room to freshen up and change, but she moved to block him. He had finally had to physically move her out of his way before he could escape her presence. He dreaded another draining encounter with her, not sure why she could not get it through her head that he was not interested.

That's probably why he was anticipating seeing Noelle so badly. With her,things had become comfortable. She never made him feel smothered or trapped. And he delighted in her easy going nature and their badinage. He reached her room and knocked sharply on the door. A few seconds later the door flew open revealing an enchanting Noelle. She was dressed in a silk, sage green dress, her hair arranged in a Grecian knot on top of her head, with a few loose tendrils curling around her face. Pierce glanced down at her throat and was disappointed to realize she was not wearing the necklace he had given her, but maybe she was saving it to wear to the ball tomorrow night. He instinctively reached for her, but before he could so much as touch her she had taken a step out into the hall.

When he reached for her hand, she recoiled. "It is not necessary, Your Grace, no one is here to see, so there is no need to pretend." He looked at her confused, but she just started walking without him.

He rushed to catch up, grabbing the bare part of her arm just above her glove and pulling her to a halt. She looked down at his hand as if she were disgusted. "What is the meaning of this?"

"That is what I am wondering. Why all of the sudden are you eager to be out of my presence?"

"It is not a recent development. If you recall correctly, I have never been eager to be in your presence. Remember, I was forced into this with no choice in the matter, or have you forgotten?"

"What about yesterday? You seemed to enjoy my presence then, or am I just imagining that?"

"Perhaps it was a momentary lapse in my judgment, I will take measures to be more careful in the future." She turned from him and began walking briskly down the hall. He caught up to her as she had started to descend the staircase.

Pressing his body to hers he pinned her against the banister, not knowing how else he was going detain her, before he got to the bottom of her odd behavior.

"Unhand me you oaf!"

"No, not until you tell me why you are being so short with me tonight. Last time we were together you were a completely different person."He reached up and ran his long fingers down her neck causing her skin to tingle. She hated the way her body betrayed her at his touch, but he was so much larger and stronger than her that she could not pull away.

He ran his fingers from her throat down to her collarbone, then traced small circles down her arm, stopping and concentrating on the spot of bare skin above her glove. "Tell me you aren't enjoying this."

"I'm not enjoying this," she said flatly, but he knew she was lying by the look in her eyes, the same look she always had when he evoked passion in her.