Chapter 7

There were thousands of things Conner would rather do than finish the territory checks with his dad. Thousands of smaller, mundane things he could easily set aside to go retrieve his mate from the other two alphas. Instead, he checked his watch for the fiftieth time since they headed back for the village.

He couldn't get his truck started fast enough. Blade and Preston must already be there with her and his father gave them a specified amount of time before he promised to end them.

Another glance at his watch. Conner groaned as his wolf whined in his head. If they came in on time, they were long gone. What must she think of him? He was supposed to provide for her and keep her safe. Leaving her to the road and the young wolves wasn't anywhere near those qualifications.

He floored the gas pedal before his dad could find something else for him to do at home. Did he want this match to fail? It was starting to feel like his father didn't want him to have a mate.

He should have shifted and run to get her. He shouldn't bother with the truck. But he didn't want to scare her on her first day. Many women didn't take the whole phasing thing very well the first time they saw it.

His ears twitched as he searched for other sounds above the engine noise. Anything to tell him how close he was getting to her. Anything to tell him she was okay.

A feminine shriek sent a jolt of panic and anger through him. Conner hit the brakes and jumped out of the cab almost before the truck stopped.

The second he saw the group of young wolves, he couldn't handle it anymore. A long, low growl reverberated through the still air so loudly it could only come from an alpha.

The young wolves hesitated in their herding, which gave Conner just enough time.

He launched himself into the middle of them. One arm snaked out to gently nudge Liana behind him as he backed her toward a tree. Another snarl slipped from his lips. Conner could feel his canines protrude. His fingers itched, his wolf begged for release.

They want our mate. We should kill them all.

Conner forced himself to take a deep breath. His wolf had never wanted to kill a member of his pack before. He didn't like the way he so easily threatened it.

One of the young wolves lowered his head and growled, forcing the sound to echo off the ground.

Conner turned his body in that wolf's direction and bared his teeth with another low growl. "Mine," he bit out.

The youngster took a step back and turned his head away. Quite frankly, Conner was surprised they had the audacity to try to stand up against an alpha when their instincts told them to listen.

One of the larger wolves shifted. Conner was glad he hid Liana from view, not only because Lance was naked, but because she wasn't ready to see a wolf shift yet. She just arrived. Why did the other alphas leave her alone? Forget what his dad wanted. They should have stayed with her.

"She's unattached and she was walking alone." Lance glared at him accusingly. "How do we know she's yours? Maybe you're just saying that."

Conner squeezed his eyes shut. Why did this have to happen now? He couldn't lose her after he went through all the trouble of claiming papers and that awful conversation with his dad. There was only one way to keep her, though, and he didn't think she would be okay with it.

"She's mine," Conner snapped at Lance.

Lance raised a brow. "Then prove it."

With a heavy sigh, Conner turned around to face Liana.

She inhaled sharply. Her eyes went wider than they already were.

He'd never been this close to her before. His hands ached with the need to reach out and touch her. She looked so scared. So... tiny.

Conner looked over her. His anger at his fellow alphas tripled. She was hardly dressed, just a scrap of shorts and a shirt far too large for her. Not to mention the exhausted rubber sandals adorning her feet. Her precious skin seemed too red for comfort.

A soft whimper snapped him back to reality. His gaze sought hers and found only fear and trembling.

Conner sighed and kept his voice low, though he was more than certain the wolves behind him could hear. "I have to scent mark you, or they won't believe you're mine."

"I-I don't...know what that means." She shook her head. Honey-blonde tendrils flew around her flushed cheeks.

Conner's mind—and his wolf—instantly thought of another more pleasant situation in which he'd love to see that same look on her. He shook his head to clear it. "Please, Liana."

The nod was almost imperceptible, but he saw the slight ripple of curls around her face.

With a relieved sigh, Conner wrapped an arm around her waist. He hated that he didn't have time to explain this, but he had to do it. He lowered his head to her neck. Immediately, her scent overwhelmed him. Sugar and cookies and pastry.

He rubbed his cheek against her neck, pausing to kiss the soft skin every few seconds. Knowing that wouldn't be enough, Conner nudged her t-shirt off her shoulder and nuzzled along the silk skin there, too.

He felt her stiffen under his hold, and he knew he pushed it too far. Right now, he didn't care. He would deal with it later. Right now, he needed to keep her.

Conner straightened and looked down into those beautiful blue eyes. Eyes filled with fire and rage. He took a breath. That didn't bode well.

"Sorry," he mouthed at her. Anything to make his mate feel better again.

Conner shot an irate glare over his shoulder at the young wolves. "Mine. Go home."

One by one, angry young wolves turned and made their way down the road toward the village.

Conner turned back to the small, trembling woman in front of him.

Those lips he so adored pressed so hard together they disappeared altogether. Blue eyes shot sparks of orange fire at him.

"I can explain..." Conner splayed his hand on her back. Her skin felt hot enough to burn him, every quiver and tremble evident to him as they happened. Her heart raced in her chest. He could hear it beating even faster than his own.

"Explain?" Her voice was soft but firm. "What's there to explain? This is only a thirty day trial."

She pulled away from him, but Conner wasn't sure why. He could tell she was as just as affected by that moment as he was. He could smell her. He could taste her on his lips. Her skin was just as sweet as her scent, and he purred as he thought about feeling and tasting and seeing more of it.

Her words hurt, but he knew that she experienced more trauma than intended on her first day. He caught up to her easily and wrapped a hand around her upper arm. "My truck is this way."

She pulled away from his grip, so Conner let her go instead of bruising her. "I'll walk. Thank you." The comment dripped with sarcasm.

Conner frowned. Walk? He shook his head. He wouldn't allow it. She was too fragile, too open right now. He needed to get her to safety. Especially if a rogue did exist on the reservation. "Not in those shoes." He looked pointedly to her feet.

Liana followed his gaze and stilled. "Oh." She glanced up. "I'll be okay."

"No, you won't. Come on." He reached out for her again, intent on leading her to the relative safety of his truck.

Liana shied away from his reach and skirted around him. Her arms wrapped firmly around her torso as she stormed that direction.

Conner sighed. What did he do wrong this time? He didn't know she would be so hard to get to know. He thought maybe she would like him and at least agree to a friendship to start. Not this. Not pulling away and shooting daggers with her eyes. This could be a very long day.