6. Angarth

Just slightly over an hour later, a mounted party of twelve left the courtyard. As well as the six guards, Dax and Marius were accompanied by Greagg, Dax's manservant, and three grooms. The grooms would double as servants on the trail, setting up the evening camp and preparing the food, as well as looking after the horses. They were travelling light, with only one packhorse to carry Dax's finery for the celebrations ahead. Everyone else carried any belongings they needed in their saddlebags.

They reached Angarth the next day without incident and wove their way through the busy, narrow streets to the castle. Skyber Hold was a fine, sturdy building but it was nothing compared to Angarth Castle, thought Dax, enviously. Sprawled over a small hill at the back of the town, the castle's blue-steepled turrets and white stone walls were pretty as a picture. Set against a steep mountain backdrop and surrounded by the town at the front, it was almost impregnable.

"Welcome to Angarth, Lord Xandro," said Telgarth, the chief steward himself, bowing low. "We have rooms prepared for you and your manservant in the castle, and billets for your men near the stables."

"Thank you, Telgarth," responded Marius politely, as Dax nodded. An underling hurried out to show the rest of the party to their quarters.

"If you'd like to follow me?" invited Telgarth, leading the way through the hall and up a central staircase to the luxurious apartments beyond.

Marius put his bag in the servant's room next door to Dax's chamber, despite his brother's frown of disapproval.

"I'll share with Greagg," Marius told him, calmly. "I can't be your bodyguard if I'm half the building away. I'm sure Greagg is an excellent valet but he's no use in a fight, and I bet you anything, all the other nobles will have their personal bodyguards close at hand."

Little as Dax wanted Marius next door, he knew he was right. He certainly did not want to be the only noble who didn't have a personal bodyguard to add to his consequence. He could only hope Marius didn't interfere with his plans.

The next evening found Dax proceeding at a measured pace down the wide staircase to the black and white flagstones of the formal reception room, followed by Marius exactly one step behind and to the right as a bodyguard should be, ready to bring his sword arm into play in the unlikely event that it would be needed.

Tonight, all the nobles who had advised their intentions to make an offer for Lady Liviana, were being ceremoniously presented. There would be a formal dinner afterward, attended by all the high ranking nobles and their spouses, followed by dancing.

Dax was dressed in the height of fashion, with sky blue silk trousers on his legs and an embroidered waistcoat in a paler shade on top of his white silk shirt. Black boots polished to within an inch of their life complemented his shining dark gold locks. Although it had taken him nearly two hours to get ready, Dax knew the time had been well spent. He looked young, handsome and entirely masculine, unlike some of the middle-aged suitors with round paunches and powdered cheeks.

Lady Liviana stood on a dais in the centre of the Grand Hall, elegant in trousers and shirt of shimmering gold, a stately smile of welcome on her face. She was tall for a woman, with dark hair tied into an elaborate knot at the base of her neck. Even her most ardent admirer would call her face interesting rather than beautiful, but to the discerning, her intelligence would be of more significance than fleeting looks.

She greeted each man with a few words as he was presented to her, this part of the proceedings merely a ritual ceremony. The real work had been done earlier behind closed doors; detailed proposals of exactly what property would be exchanged, given, and received in return, presented in writing, to be pored over by milady's Counsellors.

Finally, it was Dax's turn to be presented. Lady Liviana's smile widened as she saw the handsome young man standing before her, such a pleasing contrast to the ageing widower who'd preceded him.

Dax bowed low. "Lady Liviana, my pleasure to see you again." He straightened, taking her hand and smiling into her eyes. "I hope you're looking forward to this evening as much as I am."

"Welcome, Lord Xandro." The Lady returned his smile.

Over the next few days of dinners, riding parties and dancing, Dax continued to be on his best behaviour, being attentive to Lady Liviana without being importunate. Sometimes he thought the lady favoured him, but he was uncertain whether that would be enough to secure him the place at her side. Like many people being groomed to hold power from birth, Lady Liviana had been brought up to conceal her feelings behind a mask of diplomatic courtesy, so it was hard for Dax to tell her true thoughts.

Perhaps it was time to take matters into his own hands.

Liviana looked over the crowded dinner hall from her vantage point at the high table. People laughed and smiled, drinking her fine wines and eating the delicious food prepared by her cooks. A terrible desire rose in her to stand and scream at them all to get out and leave her alone, she didn't want to marry any of them, but naturally she did no such thing. She smiled and talked trivialities, while inside her head she went through her list of suitors for the hundredth time. Weeding out those who were too poor—or too old—she had put her foot down there.

"If your goal is to get me pregnant," she'd said coldly to her Counsellors, "then surely you need a man capable of siring healthy children. I want a man in his prime, not someone old enough to be my father! Or young enough to be my son, for that matter!" She'd added, thinking with wry amusement of the twenty-year old youth who had nervously presented himself with the others. He hadn't quite been able to hide the flash of dismay in his eyes when he realised she was from the same vintage as his mother.

That left her with a choice from five.

For some reason her thoughts went first to Dax, Lord Dale'l'Xandro, to give him his full name. He was certainly the most handsome of her suitors and the youngest of the five. And importantly, Skyber was a fine Hold. True, it was over a day's ride distant, but its orchards of apricots and peaches would make a fine addition to Angarth's wealth. But would Dax's youth be a benefit in ruling Angarth? Would he defer to her greater experience? Or would the natural arrogance of youth convince him that he knew best? If only she'd had a chance to know him better.

Of the rest, only Lord Ronin Allard of Lizard's Landing, held any appeal. Forty-two years old and a widower, he might be too dour for her particular taste but he had a reputation for careful management of his estates and sobriety in his personal habits.

The other three...well, let's see. Fredrick was a drunkard, Lurash at least a foot shorter than herself, which might not have been a concern if he'd had a more pleasant disposition, and Samon, who'd seemed a promising candidate at first, had proved to have far too heavy a hand on the reins. She had seen his horse in the stables, after their first ride, bleeding at the mouth. Not a good sign.

So who was she going to choose? Dax was handsome enough, but untested. Perhaps Ronin was the more sensible choice.

She sighed unconsciously, then smiled at Dax, seated next to her at the dinner table that evening.

One more night of freedom. She had given her word to the Counsellors that she would make a decision tomorrow.