14. Lizards' Landing

Far away to the west, lay the hold at Lizard's Landing. A large, square building built of local golden sandstone on the edge of a huge lake, it had been Ronin's family home for generations. Usually Ronin spent the first day after he returned home, revitalising himself with all the aspects he loved about the place. He'd stroll around the small village with its tidy cottages, watch the boats sail into shore with their catches of fresh fish, walk around the lake and breathe in the fresh, damp air. A day of that and he was ready to tackle anything.

But not this time, this time he was unable to settle. The fishing boats had failed to work their magic and today, Ronin was pushing himself, taking long strides around the well-worn path beside the lake. But as fast as he walked, he couldn't escape the thoughts in his head. He'd been a fool, he knew it. Holding back, hoping that his reputation as an honest, hardworking man would be enough to sway Liviana in his direction. He wasn't used to thinking of himself as arrogant, but he knew he had been. Ticking off the other suitors in his head rather smugly as too old, too young, too unworthy. He'd forgotten the lure of youth and good looks. The heat of passion.

In hindsight, he should have been more romantic, courted her properly as a would-be lover should, not taken her for granted. But he hadn't and Dax had snuck in and stolen her out from under his nose like a fox in the night.

"Have you heard? Lady Liviana spent the whole night with Lord Dax." The gossip was all over the castle. He hadn't believed it at first. Not until elderly Lord Brentwood, his father's trusted friend had confirmed the news.

"It's true enough, I'm afraid, Ronin," Brentwood had sighed. "I'd not have expected that of her. I'd have sworn Liviana was not the sort of woman to take a man to her bed before she was wed. That sort of behaviour is all well and fine for ordinary folk but not for the High Lady."

Ronin knew that was true. It was an unwritten rule; the High Lady was expected to keep herself chaste for the sake of the heir-to-be. She couldn't afford to have any bastard children hovering in the wings, waiting to challenge the rightful heir for the Hold. And Liviana knew that, none better.

"I don't understand," Ronin told Lord Brentwood, as he paced the room. "She's kept herself aloof from importunate suitors for over twenty years, so why give in to Dax so suddenly, now, at this critical time? It doesn't make sense."

It had to be Dax's fault, Ronin had thought to himself. I bet anything, Dax tricked her somehow.

Ronin realised he was grinding his teeth as he strode along the path. He should have stepped in and challenged Dax in private, made him admit that he'd trapped her. Duels were supposedly forbidden, but everyone knew they still happened. His sword hand clenched involuntarily. He shouldn't have let Dax get away with his tricks and now it was all too late. Liviana was going to marry that... that sly fox. And it was all his—Ronin's—fault.

His thoughts went back over his last interview with Liviana for the hundredth time. He'd been fully prepared to overlook the fact that she'd slept with Dax. After all, he was certain she had been tricked into it, but then... He winced as he remembered her hand going down to cradle her stomach. Was he prepared to be the father to Dax's bastard? Surely that was asking too much of any man.

He'd given up then, and run away, back to Lizard's Landing.

Grimly, Ronin walked even faster, trying to wear himself out so that he could get some sleep that night. He wasn't used to running away. He might have been a poor communicator, a man of few words, but he'd always prided himself on being a man of action. A man of principle. Someone who would stand up to be counted, tackle obstacles head on, no matter how difficult. He came to a sudden stop.

No matter how hard it was going to be, he had to go back to Angarth and face the wedding.

(Author's Note - I'm not sure this chapter will stay in the book - depends on the ending! )