Epilogue

The wedding of High Lady Liviana'de'Angarth and Lord Ronin of Lizard's Landing was scarcely likely to be as exciting as the last event held at Angarth, but everyone was hopeful this one would be more enduring.

Excitement filled the air. The streets were decorated with branches of autumn leaves and bright blue ribbons fluttered from many windows. Once again, the castle was packed with noble guests expecting to enjoy a six course dinner after the ceremony and whole sheep were roasting in the courtyard, ready for the common people to feast on. All the town's bakers had been busy for hours before dawn, working hard to supply enough bread loaves for everyone and barrels of ale were being rolled out from the taverns.

Of vast interest to many, was the solemn presence of Ser Marius, recently proclaimed Lord of Skyber Hold. Normally reserved, Marius was even more laconic than usual, answering impertinent questions with a raised eyebrow and avoiding late night revels entirely. Those who had been avidly hoping to get a glimpse of the man who had replaced Dax, the man who was rumoured to be Marius' lover, were disappointed. Marius was here alone, apart from a couple of guard attendants.

Marius watched the completion of the marriage ceremony with a sense of satisfaction. Nothing had gone wrong this time to interrupt the proceedings. He would stay for the wedding feast as expected, but then tomorrow he would be free to return to Skyber.

He let his mind drift, remembering... He had been surprised to receive the invitation. He had hesitated at first, wondering whether his presence would bring back too many unwelcome memories, but Lady Liviana had sent a special invitation to him, personally.

Aled had not been included.

"I'm sorry," he had apologised, but Aled seemed unperturbed.

"It's fine. I agree, there's no need to set tongues wagging any more than necessary."

Aled had seemed happy enough at Skyber. He had kept busy, learning his way around the Hold and practising his unarmed combat skills with the guards. He had even begun to learn how to fight with a sword and shoot a bow.

However, their personal relationship had been put on hold, while Marius travelled between the farms and villages owing fealty to Skyber, explaining that Dax had fled to distant lands after the debacle at Angarth, leaving him in charge. For the most part, people were used to dealing with Marius as the Hold overseer and were simply relieved when assured nothing would change. He thought many secretly believed Dax was dead, perhaps even killed by his own hand, but no-one challenged him to his face.

Marius knew Aled wanted more from their relationship, but he had held back, scared to risk a more intimate encounter.

And then, the night before he left Skyber, Aled had taken matters into his own hands.

Marius had been lying in bed, on the verge of sleep, when Aled entered his room wearing only a robe. Silently, he dropped the robe on the floor and slid naked into the bed, next to him. Marius lay still, his heart thudding, half wanting, half fearing what would happen next.

"Aled," he managed, his voice hoarse. "To be honest, I don't know if I'm ready... I'm trying my best, but sometimes I still see-"

"Shhh," Aled put a gentle finger against his lips. He blew out the single candle. Even in the darkened room, Marius could tell he was smiling. "Don't worry. To be honest, it's not your face I'm planning to kiss..."

Back in the Great Hall at Angarth, Marius realised he was grinning from ear to ear.