iv. The Girl Who Lost Her Friends

CHAPTER FOUR — THE GIRL WHO LOST HER FRIENDS

SHE DIDN'T SEE OR HEAR ANYTHING OF JACOB BLACK FOR AN ENTIRE WEEK; not even his dark long hair, or his kind and playful eyes, or his voice that had suddenly turned so deeply. There were no words from Jacob, not a call back, much less a visit. It was like he had almost disappeared after that night in the movies, although Claire knew that he was actually still alive according to Bella and the information that she had someway managed to obtain from Billy Black, his father. Alive, but alas, so ill like to not been able to pick up the phone by himself or receive any visits.

And then another week passed—another entire week without knowing anything about him. Claire started to feel anxious and Bella was nothing but worst, she could easily noticed that. However, Bella rejected all her suppositions and pretended that nothing wrong was happening, no other than the fact of Jacob being sick. And of course it was. She was lying, again, just like she did when the Cullens were gone.

After a talk with Chief Swan, she found out about how his daughter would often call almost every day to ask for Jacob, and how her nightmares had returned with the lack of her dearest friend. Bella never mentioned anything about it, which made her felt quite hurt. They're were supposed to be friends, weren't they? And friends trusted each other and help each other. Claire was not able to do the second because Bella kept hiding things from her—things that truly affected her and that she was sure she could help trying to solve them.

So she decided to do something.

Mike observed her with confusion when she asked him to take her to the Swan's residence, carrying a big bag at her back, but as he considered that as a good opportunity to see Bella, he didn't complain that much. That was how Claire surprised Bella in her door that afternoon, with Mike waving a hand in signal of hello from the car. Bella had hardly given back to Mike the greeting, hurrying to get Claire into the house to prevent any sort of conversation with her brother.

She was smiling to Claire while they both walked to the living room, where Chief Swan was sitting in the couch and watching the football game in the television.

"Dad" Bella called the man, who had still not turned around to see them. "So, apparently, Claire is going to stay for today."

"Claire Newton?" he said her name out loud, like if it was almost unknown. Claire wanted to laugh because he was trying too hard to look surprised or pretend that he hadn't had anything to do with her visit (Claire had previously asked him if she could went to his house). "Oh, hi Claire" Chief Swan added after he finally noticed her. "How have you been? Haven't seen you in a while. We kind of miss you here."

"I'm doing fine, thanks" she answered back, giving him a smile. "And I missed you too, Chief Swan. I guess that I just have to come more often."

"Oh, please stop" Bella interrupted them before her father could continue. She gave both a reproachful look. "Let's pretend I don't know that you're faking this conversation, but please."