29

"He got brought in one day. Newbie. Of course, the perverts in there were trying to get a good look at him, so when he got put in my cell, the first thing he did was ask me if I was like them. I told him no, that I had a family back home. I motioned to the picture on the wall, this one," William touches the photo, looking at it. "Samuels commented that they looked nice. He asked what I was in for, I told him. Then I asked him, I told him it seemed like a bullshit charge. As the days passed, I grew a liking to that boy.

He followed me around, I looked after him, all that fun prison stuff. Anyway, I told him one day how I had missed my family a lot. He asked if they ever came to visit. I lied and told him no, which wasn't a complete lie because, at the time, Laura and Kate were swarmed with work and school and trying to make ends meet without me. That's what made me realize how badly I had fucked their lives up."
"It's also when you decided to escape." Sherman interrupts.
William nods. "I wanted to see them. I needed to see them. Samuels asked a million times what my family was like. I told him, I said to him, "Laura, my wife, she's the light of my life." And then I pointed to Kate," William does so, caressing her face in the photo. "I told him she was the best thing to ever happen to me. She made my life better." And he said that he wished to have something like that one day. I just nodded it off, y'know, whatever. Why do I give a shit about this kid's hopes and dreams?" William chuckles. Sherman nods.
"Anyways, I busted out a few days later. When they caught me, Samuels wasn't my cellmate anymore because y'know I got sent here." William looks down at the family photo. "I know this is evidence and all, but-"
"Yes, you can keep it." Sherman finishes.
"Thanks Sherman." he smiles lightly. "What else do you need to know?"
"Do you remember him saying anything about Kate? Anything that would, maybe, hint about him taking a liking to her?"
William pauses, reminiscing on old times. "I don't think so. It was so long ago, I'm not sure I can remember everything he said or did."
"Well, you think of anything- " Sherman points to the guard at the door. "You tell him, and I'll come back, alright?"
"Yeah, sure." William stands, photo in his hand. "Thanks again."
"Don't mention it."

Sherman stands and walks out of Manhattan Penitentiary speeding to his next stop- the Winters' house. Detective Sherman passes Brian's car at a local food chain. Sherman makes a U-Turn as his tires squeal, pulling in next to Brian's car. He exits his vehicle and goes inside. Turning his head left and right, he finally finds Hawkins and Watson sitting at a table in the far back next to the other exit doors. Storming over, Sherman slams his hand on the table.
"What in the fuck are you two doing?"
Brian stares up at him. "People need to eat, Sherman, Jesus."
Sherman blinks, taken aback by what Hawkins just said. "I thought you two were stationed outside the Winters house?"
"You assigned your deputy's there so I thought we were no longer needed." Watson shrugs.
"Well, you imbeciles thought wrong. I need both vehicles outside."
Watson stands. "I think your deputies are capable enough." she smirks and walks out.
Sherman puts a hand on Brian's chest, halting him from moving past. "I can't believe I'm about to say this, but please go sit outside the Winters house."
Brian smirks, chuckling. "Yeah, sure, Detective."

                                                                                              ❥

Kate and Frankie sit at the library as Frankie runs her fingers across the books lined on the shelf. Kate sits, leaning on the shelves behind her, pondering how to start another conversation. Opening her mouth, then closing it, Kate grabs a random book from behind her and pretends to be interested in it.
"So, your inmate is the one that escaped, right?" Frankie blurts out.
Kate looks up at her, mouth agape. "Yeah, how'd you know that?"
"I kept in touch with my inmate." she shrugs. "He told me."
"You actually kept in touch?"
"Yeah, I should actually have a letter from him in my P.O. Box by now."
Frankie bends down slightly, grabbing her bag. Digging for her keys as the pair exit, she and Kate go their separate ways. Kate watches as Frankie goes, biting her lip then shaking her head. As Kate pulls in her driveway, she recognizes Brian and Watson sitting on the curb of her house.
"What happened to the deputies?" Kate asks, leaning on Brian's window.
"Sherman re-assigned us here."
"Guess they couldn't keep up," Watson smirks, elbowing Brian.
Shaking Watson off, Brian looks back at Kate. "Well, you can relax a bit. We're back on it, and we won't let you down."
"Thanks." Kate remarks, standing upright and disappearing inside her house.
Kate closes and locks the front door, dropping her bag on the couch and heading into the kitchen, she hears someone entering. Turning, ready to strike, she finds her mother.
Kate watches her mother raise her hands in surrender. "God, mom." Kate breathes. "I'm so sorry."
Laura laughs. "After how our days have been going, I'm glad you know how to defend yourself."
Kate sits at the bar stool. "I thought you weren't coming home until Friday?"
"Yeah, so did I."
"So what changed that?"
Laura pours herself a glass of wine. "One of the "top guys" caught the stomach bug so we had to reschedule until next month." She takes a sip, rolling her eyes. "Next month. Can you believe it? I really needed to close this deal."
Kate sighs. "I'm sorry, mom."
"Please, not your fault."
Laura disappears into the living room and Kate follows. She moves Kate's bag and puts her feet up on the cushion, laying her head on the pillow. Sighing, she drinks what's left of her drink in one gulp and looks over at her daughter. Kate sits on the chair next to the couch and tilts her head back.
"Don't worry," Laura speaks. "We're covered on the bills this month. We'll survive."
"We shouldn't have to survive." She huffs, raising her voice slightly. "If Dad hadn't fucked us-"
"Stop it," Laura says, leaning up. "Your father did not do anything to "fuck" us. Yes, he made a mistake, but we weren't any better now than when we did have him."
Kate scoffs. "Of course, you're defending him."
Kate storms off, up the stairs, as Laura looks up at her daughter shocked. Laura looks down, sliding her feet to the carpet as she walks to refill her glass. She leans her hand on the countertop, her other hand holding the glass, trying to make light of the situation that just transpired between her and Kate.
Meanwhile, Kate lays on her bed, one arm draped over her head, eyes watery as she subconsciously tells herself not to cry. Turning on her left side, she looks towards the window. Unsure why, she finds herself wondering where Christopher is. Lately, when he's here, Kate can't stand him being there, and now here she is, wanting him to be the one time he's not.

                                                                                              ❥

Frankie pulls into the lot. Keys in hand, she enters the Post Office and goes to her box. Turning the key, she moves the door and finds the envelope she discovers every week. Beaming, she grabs the envelope and locks her box. Entering her car, she locks the doors. Tearing through the envelope, she pulls out the folded paper. Her eyes following the words, she, as usual, finds herself visioning him writing it.
"Frankie,
I can't believe it, the parole board is considering granting me parole. I'm going to need an address for my P.O. to check out if I am let out. I was hoping maybe I could use yours? I know the situation there isn't too good right now, but hey- that could change. I mean, I've been away from the outside world for a while, but there's still hope that people can change. Everyone calls me Druggie because that's the only name I've known since I started dealing; to be frank, I'd probably be confused if someone called me "Doug."
Believe me, if I do get out, I do not intend to start smuggling again. Being in here's taught me a lot more than I ever learned out there. I'm not saying that school isn't worth it, because it can be, but it wasn't important to me. I'll find out if I'm getting out within a week or so. I don't want to get your hopes up and then end up letting you down.
Frankie, to be honest, you're all I've got. When I got locked up, they wanted me to give up other dealers and buyers, but I wouldn't. I know what happens to snitches. But see, I thought they would stick by me until I got out. They're nowhere to be found. My point is, never get too comfortable with someone being around, because when you need them, you won't be able to find them. Nor will they care. Except for you, I feel like you'll always have my back. And of course, I'll have yours for as long as possible.
I'm still entirely grateful that you decided to keep in touch. I hear that not many of your classmates made the same choice as you, but I guess they didn't appreciate their students the way I appreciated you. -Druggie."

Frankie finishes the letter, holding it to her chest, her face glowing. Gently folding it back inside the envelope, she slides it in one of the books before backing out and heading home, dreading every mile.