Chapter Two

<><><><><><><><>

<><><><><><><><>

Dedication: AmazinglyCate for the cover! Thank you!

<><><><><><><><>

******* TWELVE MONTHS LATER *******

Ugly.

That was my first thought when I stared at the new school I'd be attending. I wrinkled my nose at the large, iron gates and barb-wired fences that surrounded it. The building was enormous and entirely built of brick.

Security guards, at least two from what I could see, were paroling the outside perimeter. I swallowed a dry lump that had lodged itself in my throat. How my life could go from perfect to this was... dumbfounding. If my Dad hadn't died, this would never have happened. 

Exhaling wearily, I pinched the skin in between my eyes together. I couldn't believe this is what my life had come to. If I could go twelve months back and somehow save my Dad... everything would still be perfect. I had been out laughing with my friends, felt up by my non-labeled boyfriend, and having a great time, whilst my Dad had been getting murdered.

The thought of that made me so sick I wanted to vomit up the entire last twelve months of my life's food consumption. 

"Ma'am?" the taxi driver asked, clearing his throat uneasily. I slowly turned my head, meeting his gaze steadily, my eyes narrowing almost immediately. He flinched, cringing away from me. 

My eyes softened. Slightly. It must be hard transporting people around this area of town. You'd get a lot of thugs. I fished the money I owed him out of my pocket and slipped it into his hand. He gave me a tentative smile before dumping the last of my bags onto the sidewalk. 

"Will you be right from here?"

When I didn't reply, he reentered the Taxi. I stood there for a few moments, contemplating running away. I had a bit of money... I could support myself for barely two weeks. 

Going to this school hadn't exactly been my suggestion. My grandfather had enough of my slipping grades, my late nights, coming home either high or drunk with a tattooed guy over half my age trailing behind me. He'd sent me to the strictest school in the zone.

Downright High.

Also known as; Downright Delinquents.

With a sigh, I hitched my bags onto my shoulder. I guess it was now or never. Before I could take a step, the gates rolled open with an ear-wincing screech. Two security guards came marching towards me with batons in their hands. 

I raised my hands in a peace signal, in an attempt to decrease some of the accumulating tension. 

"Why are you lingering by the gates?" My tongue was glued to the roof of my mouth and he glowered at me, narrowing his eyes. "People who sneak weapons and such through the fence will be fined severely."