3: Doors

I hear a harsh but familiar ZAP and feel tingles that coat every inch of me.

I had once read the breakdown of how these things work, and how hazardous it was to stop one once it was operating.

Apparently it moves you molecule by molecule at light speed in a highly pressurized tube with magnetic qualities unique to the Jumper you are currently using and the one you are, well, jumping to.

Stopping the process would result in someone half-moved to their desired location and would be quite gory... But thankfully, only someone with the specific code to your Jumper can halt the process.

So, no half-jumps for me because the only other person with my code is dead (from being exposed to radiation outside, I'm not a savage, mind you..)

Blue light continues to burn my retinas with such strength a few tears escape. It is only a few seconds before I feel my metal-riveted boots clank on the floor of the designated Jumper.

I exhale before turning around and smiling at what is with me in the pod.

"Hi Lukas. I thought this was super dangerous," I say to my friend, a little smirk growing on my face.

"Hi Alexi. Yes, it is super dangerous. That is the reason I'm coming with you.
The only reason you've been allowed to roam this building like a wasteland scavenger is because here there are no doors. Only Jumpers, and the only person with the code to that specific Jumper is you. So here you are very safe. Out there,"Lukas points out logically, his camera moving towards the ruins in front of us,"not so much.

"And you forgot something," it says. I look at the small box for a moment in confusion before it displays an image of my blaster and my drone's remote.

I grit my teeth.

Just like me to forget some of the most important stuff ever.

"Just like me to save your life," Lukas says.

"Authorization please," it says.

"Authorized," I respond, annoyance present in my voice.

Immediately my blaster and my remote appear on the floor of the Jumper.

I glance down at them before shoving the blaster in the side pocket of my pack and clenching the remote with my left hand.

"Just so you know Alexi, once we're out of here I can't magically transport anything from your room because we'll no longer be connected to it. That means no more water..."

I drown the AI out, and turn to look out of the Jumper pod. It almost makes tears come to my eyes.

The once shining road is cracked and has plants wrapping around and overtaking it.

There are abandoned Floaters crashed on the ground due to long-dead batteries and broken propellers.

The once proud sky scrapers are crumbling to expose failing supports.

Trees have grown through windows and their roots twist in every which way. My eyes drift to the reddened morning sky to see the sun for the first time in years.

Even through the strong glass of the Jumper I can feel it's warm rays reaching out for me.

My usually cold and pale skin begins to warm along with my wild dark hair. A small smile creeps onto my face as I bask in the moment.

"I hate to ruin this, but we're wasting time."

I sigh before throwing a look at Lukas over my shoulder.

"I'm not sure exactly how far you can go in a matter of 10 hours but we need to be back by then," Lukas states.

I nod and shrug my bag off.

I rummage through it and pull out an air purifier for my nose and mouth.

I place the "A" shaped half over my nose and wince a little bit when it fits itself to my nose, but leaves the nostrils exposed.

I then place the second piece shaped like a sideways "D" like a frown over my mouth and it immediately melts into the first piece creating a sort of airlock mask.

No contamination will get in here.

The small filters on both sides gently whirr when I inhale. I then pull out one more item: UV protection glasses that reach back and covers my ears as well as being airlocked just like my purification mask.

I push them on and it becomes pressurized within seconds. Lukas flies over and scans my mask and glasses for any gaps or holes.

"All good," Lukas said.

I nod and put my backpack back on. I reach out to the key pad and selected a button that reads: Open.

I push it.
~~~~~~~~~~

That abomination up top is my poor attempt to bring an open Jumper pod to life. Again, hmu if you can render a much better image! Thanks again for taking the time to read this.
♥️