18: Plain and Simple

I gnash my teeth together and my head pounds in sync with the rhythm of my feet smacking into the ground.

My breaths are ragged and rapid, but not just from the running.

I'm worked up and worried and angry.

The scene that me and my new blacked-out friend are racing away from contains my only life long friend and some insanely scary bots that want to rip us apart.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the extremely loud blaring sirens.

So, life's just dandy at the moment.

Familiar static fills my right ear again and an unrestrained smile hits my face. My eyes water a little bit.

"I'm not that easy to get rid of, Alexi," Lukas' voice scolds me.

Didn't even think they would leave a mark.

The sarcasm is even present in my thoughts.

"Liar. Are you at the exit yet?"

Very close.

"Good. I'm going to have to go now Alexi. Don't even worry. And do not wai-" Lukas' voice cut back into static.

I gulp, and then take a huge inhale. My mask gives a loud whir.

I can see the small sign above the door that reads "Exit" from this distance. Dark turns and gives me a nod.

I push myself harder than I ever though possible. If Lukas had just been taken down, that meant that they were coming for us.

No, no, Lukas is okay... He's okay.

The machines want the evil technology-controlling humans dead.

Almost there...

My hand is reaching out to open the door when a scanner popped up. A hand scanner. My mouth falls open.

I close my eyes.

I felt the sweat drip down my forehead, and the weariness my body held from today's events.

For a few moments, there is nothing but the systematic screams of the siren and my breath, until a hand grips my shoulder and shakes me.

My eyes open to see Dark leaning close to my face with his visor pulled up for the first time.

"C'mon! We gotta go, C'mon!!"

I blink a few times, taking in his face. Blonde hair sneaks to hang down in damp locks just above his eyebrows.

Little shots of brown litter large portions of the curls.

Dark doesn't seem an appropriate nick name anymore.

I assumed he had dark hair like me...

Instead, he has almost perfect eyebrows, bright hazel eyes, and dirty blonde hair.

They almost seem familiar...

"Come back! We have to go!"

He's shouting now.

The exit door slides open and I turn to see his bare hand on the scanner and his glove lying on the ground as it gives an approving beep.

Oh, look.

The exit's opened.

That's cool.

Yeah.

THE EXIT IS OPEN!

My eyes widen and alertness shoots through me again.

I look up at my companion and nod.

"Yeah. Yeah, let's go," I say as I loosen his hold on my shoulder.

Just as I reach the open door, I spot familiar fiery hair rounding the corner. I stop and hope fills me.

Lukas!

No response.

Lukas, it's me!

The humanoid gains ground. Unease swirls around in my gut.

Lukas?

A hand tugs on my arm and Dark starts speaking about leaving.

About 7 yards away, the robot falls onto the floor in collective bouts of spasms. From around the corner, an exact replica of the fidgeting bot in front of me steps.

In its hand is a blaster, and on its face is a concerned look.

Static fizzes in my ear.

"You just don't listen. Plain and simple."

Lukas runs to catch up and out of the corner of my eye I see a silhouette jump towards me.

Dark leaps in front of me and shoves me out of the doorway.
~~~~~~~~~~
Sorry that took a little while!!! Still the same amount of reads. But we're at #9 in #secretsocieties!! I'll get another one is soon :) alsoooooo what do you think is going to happen next?!
As always:
Thank you for taking your time to read this!! ♥️