37: Ninja-doctor

Back at Ryker's lodge, we sit down at what seems like a hand-crafted table and begin to explain.

Meanwhile, outside Remi and Shiva are wrestling around tearing up the grass.

As I finish explaining what happened and why we are in the North-Western Province he's eager to help us get to HQ.

I glance around the fairly large place, and I see not one scrap of technology.

I twist the vial around gingerly that rests in a small pocket on my side.

"So you'll help us?"

"Of course I will. Two of some of the best people I know asking for my help? Oh yeah. I myself was part of the Revolution for quite a while, and I do still help some of them hide out when it's needed."

"What about the plague?"

"Me? I'm immune. Just like my... Partner here. I'm not sure about my wolves, so I keep them far from any civilization."

"You don't have to deal with Victims out here?"

"Only sometimes. And we take 'em down."

I nod and James stands up, pushing his chair out.

"Ryker, we have something that could help everyone. We need to get it to HQ ASAP. It could change the entire Nation."

Ryker nods and looked back at me. He disappears for a moment down the hallway carrying a little pile of clothes and sets them on the table and gestures to them.

He sighs.

"Well," he says while looking out at his wolves,"I do have some method of transportation."

"There's only two," James says.

Ryker chuckles.

"I'm aware," he says as he grabs a medium sized rucksack off of the counter, and begins tossing stuff into it.

When he finishes, he starts heading outside. He pauses and looks back at us.

"What are y'all waiting for? I've got two good machines out here, and since you are near the edge of the Province and close to the ocean, the shore should only be a day, maybe two if we include breaks, away."

He turns to me and gestures at the clothes.

"You two can shower and change if you want to. I figure that might be more comfortable than just that thin suit."

I smile.

"Thank you, old friend," I say as he heads outside with yet another bag and saddle.

I grab the smallest clothes I can find and jog around trying to find the cleansing room.

I open a door to one room with a circular disk with little holes hanging from the ceiling and tile floors with holes in the center.

Woah.

I step in just as James slides to a stop outside the room. He raises an eyebrow at me and I stick my tongue out as I push the archaic door closed.

First come, first serve!

I close my eyes as I stand under the disk and let the water run over me, warming me and washing away the crusted blood on my leg, and all of the smog of the last four days.

It rubs a rusty color and I just stand there, being cleaned by the streams pouring out of the shower head.

Im there in complete bliss, the wall of steam holding out my grudging thoughts.

I finally turn it off, and go over to the corner of the room where the clothes are. Inside of them there's a worn towels and I dry myself off, and wrap it around my hair.

I tug the vial from the stack of clothes gently, and set it on top of them.

I pull on an oversized black tee and some long cream cargo pants that barely fit. I tear a little piece of the towel off and use it as a belt while I were it through the loops and tie it in front.

I tuck in the shirt, and begin to pull on my floaters before I realize there's socks.

Yes!

I buck the shoes off like a malfunctioning Healer, and tug the warm socks onto my bare feet and smile.

I then pull the all white Nike Floaters on my clothed feet and grab my disregarded jump suit.

I slide the shining glass vial into one of the lower pockets, and clasp it closed.

I pull the door, then remember I have to twist the handle and mentally face palm as I finally get it open, and push out.

It rams into someone and I hear a groan.

"Are you alright?"

"Yeah, yes, I'll be fine," an unfamiliar voice says.

I limp around the death weapon (aka the door), and offer a hand to a black-haired gray-eyed man.

He thankfully takes my hand and I pull him up as much as I can.

He's around 5'10"-5'11".

He smiles at me with blinding white teeth that contrast his warm cocoa skin. I return it, and introduce myself.

"Walton," he says and shakes my hand vigorously.

"Nice to meet you Walton, you must be Ryker's partner," I say, laughing.

He laughs back, nodding. A secret sparkles in his eyes.

He finally notices the way I'm favoring my right leg. He looks down and then back up at me, and I shrug.

"Doesn't seem like that to me young miss Alexi," he says.

"I think we ought to get you to your crazy ninja-doctor friend."

"James?"

"Yeah. Last time he was here he helped me out," Walton lifts the corner of his shirt, and there's a creamish-pink scar of huge teeth.

I raise my eyebrows at him.

"From...?" I pause and gesture outside.

"No. Remi and Shiva are good. They respect their superiors. Different Dire. Toke," he says through his teeth.

I nod and realize something.

"So, you mean there are others Dire wolves out here?"

"Oh yeah," he says.

I gulp.

Great.

"Right after Ryker finishes setting the Dires up, you will be heading out," Walton says.

He steps closer for a moment, turning his head to the side slightly.

He gestures to my left eye. I set my jaw and blink a few times. I had almost forgotten the contact was there.

He fidgets with something in a pair of his own cargo pants and pulls out a small circular container about the size of a quarter.

He pulls my non-wrapped hand up and places the disk in it.

I smile up at him wordlessly, and gingerly pull the container open, sliding the contact into it. I push the container into yet another pocket, and secure it.

I open my mouth to say something.

He raises a hand, waving off my thanks, and slides and arm under mine so that I don't have to put weight on my hurt leg as we move towards the front of the lodge.

~~~~~~~~~~

Soooo what do you guys think? You like the Dires? What about Ryker and Walton? You think something more? I don't knoww!
Love all of you, and I sincerely hope you have enjoyed my chapters. ♥️

Ps... Pic of Ryker up top.