42: Victoria

Our feet thump onto the hard metal of wherever we've jumped to, and I blink away the dots in my vision.

James selects something on the keypad, but I'm much too busy staring at what's in front of me.

I'm staring in a state of awe with my jaw on the floor at the massive hangar in front of me.

James' smile returns.

People clad in red, yellow, and gray uniforms with the trademark golden "R" strategically placed right over their hearts.

Massive ships and different vehicles are parked side by side, and some young children weave in between the wheels; their laughter drifts around like a long forgotten song.

The door of the Jumper slides open, and I breathe in the air of this hidden world. I'm almost afraid that if I step out, I'll fracture the beautiful scene before me: people working side by side with smiles on their faces and playing children oblivious to what lays on the other side of the portal I stand in.

We step out, and I walk forwards slowly before stopping just in front of a thin sheet of glass-like material. I turn to look at James beside me, and his eyes seem to be filled with unspilled tears of joy.

I put a finger to the glass as someone walks by.

One way. They can't see us.

I turn away from it as someone walks in from a newly opened doorway beside the Jumper.

She is decked out in a full body Quik-Seal suit. In the woman's hands there are two identical suits. James and I move forwards and each grab one. On top of it there is an air filtration mask and thin goggles to wear underneath the suit.

I toss a look back over my shoulder at the hangar as we follow the woman through the doorway.

She takes us to separate rooms where we're "disinfected". I'd rather not get into the details.
I come out of the air locked room in a black jumper and black lace-ups.

Under the jumpsuit, tucked into the waistband of the all-new leggings rest my most prized possessions: my contact, and... The Cure.

My damp hair is curled into a tight bun at the back of my head, and my leg is re-wrapped. It feels much better. I walk out, and my limp is barely even there.

The woman from earlier is standing there in a suit of her own. It's a deep red. She has friendly brown eyes and wavy blonde hair that falls to her lower back. It's captured in a high pony tail that bobs slightly as she walks to meet me. She gives me a friendly smile and sticks out her hand.

"Shiela Hemming, Trainee Cadet. Pleasure to meet you miss..."

"Alexi Callidus."

I hesitate for a moment before I grab it and give her hand a firm shake.

She gives me the same smile as earlier, and speaks again:

"Would you like me to escort you to the Asset?"

Im confused for a moment before I realize and give her a small nod.

James.

We walk through a narrow corridor and she presses her palm to a small screen on the right hand side of a door similar to the one we left in my sanitation room.

The door opens and inside there are a few people. I make my way past a small group of teenagers wearing light yellow suits. They glance at me as I move by, but I barely acknowledge their words.

I'm not looking for them.

I move past a few more multi-colored uniforms until I see a black uniform. I speed up until I'm almost just behind him.