27: Traitor

The Super Train was constructed when the two separately governed lands of the USA and Canada came together in 2407.

It's construction began in the early 2410's and currently, it's still unfinished. It's not like the track just ends, they just stopped building at the last station.

They were planning on adding another small installation in the North Eastern Province, but never did. That's when they started adding Escorts. They would take you to some of the most popular destinations of whichever province you were in right after you exited the train so that you could get home, or closer to home, quicker.

My mom had told me that I had even ridden it once before, but I had been too young to remember.

She wouldn't tell me why I was on it, or where we were coming from, which was odd to me.

I turn and glance at Lukas, which he returns.

He is no doubt feeling the same things I was because after all, we are linked. Everyone is now looking at him expectantly to continue and I give him the tiniest of nods.

On that que, he continues:

"It's one of the best means of transportation during this time. Since the train is constantly recharging itself by moving up and down the tracks, there's no way that it would die. It's the fastest way to get to-"

"Headquarters."

I turn to James who is now standing beside me.

"Headquarters?"

He nods and met Carlo's eyes. He looks back at me and continues:

"We'll be safest there. We've most definitely pissed off the nearest Nation base, and they're no doubt already informing their Trifecta."

I grit my teeth and realize just how true his words are. If we don't get out of here soon, we'd probably be killed or taken as prisoners.

Lukas moves over and drapes an arm around my shoulder comforting me in my state of worry. I smile up at my sibling-like friend.

"Alright. Where's the nearest station?"

Lukas replies within a few seconds:

"In our province and our sector. It's not super far from here, but it's not exactly safe to walk to. We'll need another means of transportation to get there."

James smiles a little bit, then looks up at Lukas.

"I mean, we did destroy this miniature army... I know they didn't just walk here," he says.

Lukas slightly narrows his eyes and nods.

"I'll have to remove the tracking device that all Nation vehicles have before we get a move on, but if your idea works we should be there in less than a day."

I nod and noticed Carlo grit his teeth in my peripheral vision.

I pick up another gun from one of the fallen soldiers and my air mask, and hold it like a bat as we exit the familiar room.

The hallways are now bleached in false light as we make a hasty exit. Our footsteps echo in the silent corridors and I wonder for a moment.

If Carlo's bots relied on the building's power, where are they now? Wouldn't he have at least sent for a few of them? And what was that "KEY02" about?

Lukas slows and turned towards me. He narrows his eyes.

James stops also and looks over his shoulder. His own eyes widen.

"I'm sorry," a familiar voice says from behind us.

What?

I open my mouth to ask as a sudden sharp pain hits me.

My right leg crumples underneath me as I fall to the cold and unforgiving floor. Tears fill my eyes as a well-known crimson pool begins to form around me.

My vision is blurring as Lukas leaps over me and smacks into something behind me with a loud crunch.

James has a look like murder.

When he looks to me, and his eyes soften.

A metallic blob rams into his familiar figure and I gasp.

He slides across the floor underneath it after he gets back up.

I think he tore off its camera.

I try to see, but my head is throbbing and I can no longer feel my leg.

James moves back to me after his little feat, and concern laced his pained expression.

He leans down, looking at me. His mouth is moving, but there were no words.

He raises his head, and I read his lips as he roars:

"TRAITOR!"

My mouth falls slightly open and my eyes roll back as I feel his arms sliding around me to cradle my body.

I finally let the darkness in.

~~~~~~~~~~

Welllllll sorry that took so long! Here it is though! Tell me what you want to happen next in the conversations, readers! Love you alllll!!!! Much love, anddd THANKS FOR READING ♥️♥️