Chapter XXX

Chapter 30

L i n d a

"Hello."

"Hey, I wanted to know if you still had someone keeping an eye out on Derek Miller?" I ask, shifting my book-bag on the car floor between my feet, glancing at the front door of the house.

"Yes, I do."

"Good I also need another favor. I want someone else to keep an eye out on Zoe Wilson today."

"Is there a reason for this request." Mr. Parker asks.

I ignore the question "Just keep an eye on her please."

************

I don't argue with Luke this time as he walks me to class. Instead, I lean against him, his arm over my shoulder- causing many eyes to turn towards us. Just like the old days.

"I still can't believe all of this," He whispers in my ear as we move through the crowds towards my first class.

I glance up at him, letting a smile take over my lips. "Well believe it cause as I said before when we met. You're stuck with me. You can't get rid of me that easily," I reply causing a chuckle from him. 

For once, we look normal- like the average high school friends walking down the hallways of Mountain Hill High without caring about what's to come, besides graduating of course. But this isn't the normal life- at least for me, but just for now I want to feel that ordinary life, forgetting everything that's to come.

"I'll see you later." He wraps his other arm around me, gently squeezing me before he lets go and walks back the way we came from- heading to his class.

I step inside greeting Mrs. Robinson who's writing on the smart-board as I walk to my seat.

The second my bag hits the white titled floor my phone buzzes, causing my eyes to automatically land to the back of the room where Derek no doubt has his phone laid out on the table, eyes also locked on me. A smirk toying on his lips.

I roll my eyes as I sit and check my phone. Derek's name displayed on the screen.

Good Morning.

I'm sorry, but last time I checked, I'm still supposed to be mad at you.

Well, that kiss from last night surely meant the contrary.

My cheeks flush at the memory from last night.

Well, you got me there.

------

As classes flew by my demeanor from this morning started to fade with each passing  minute. The thought of what's to come creeping up on me every time my eyes would meet Derek's along with my friends who just like me are starting to feel the pressure. The only thing I can do is keep to myself, keep "away" from Derek like everyone now thinks. Get ready for tonight and hope nothing happens.

I finally step inside my last class and set my eyes on Eva who has a pencil in hand. 

"You said you felt guilty about Linda" I whisper turning towards her as I take a seat.

She looks up at me startled then slowly nods.

"I can help with that," Her eyes narrow slightly, and her grip on her pencil tightens.

"How?"

I lean in a little closer "we're going to sneak into Zoe's house later to try to find clues."

Her eyes widened as she leans back. "What! We?"

I nod "Linda's friends and me."

She tips her head to the side, curiosity and confusion etched in her eyes. "Why are you so interested in all of this?"

Her question takes me by surprise, but I compose myself before she notices.

"Because this involves me, and you guys are my friends. I can see how it pains you believing that it's your fault."

My words seem to run in her head as she stares at me for a while before turning away, looking at the blank sheet of paper in front of her.

"All right. I'll go" I can't help but smile and let out a sigh of relief. I honestly haven't expected her to agree, but I'm glad she did.

"Okay we'll meet at Brenda's house at seven," I say taking the pencil from her hand and write out our address on the sheet of paper.

Eva nods, giving me a small smile "I'll meet y'all there."

********

"You okay?" I glance at Brenda who's getting into the drivers' side, her eyes fixed on me. It seems she's been asking me that a lot lately and I always answer with the same response. What else is there to say.

I nod "Did Derek ask her?" My voice coming out as a whisper as I stare out the window and onto the parking lot full of students who are getting ready to go home.

"Yeah there meeting up around seven at a restaurant so, that gives us enough time...to... look around." 

My body stiffens at the thought of Zoe and him together, but I have to remember there will be people watching - not just the officers but along with people who are going to be in the restaurant. Hopefully. Besides, she wouldn't hurt him- she can't. 

I didn't notice my hands were beginning to tightly clench until I feel a soft hand over mine, loosening my fists.

"Linda..." She lets out a sigh and starts the engine. Even she doesn't know what to say any more to calm the thoughts and scenarios running in my head. But I have to remind myself that this was my idea- I choose to do this, and hopefully, I don't have to face the consequences after.

I pull out my phone to the last message Derek sent.

Don't worry about me. Love you.