CHAPTER 40

"Why do you want Tatia dead?" It was the next day. Klaus cornered me during breakfast to ask about Tatia. The rest of the Mikaelson's were off to who-knows-where as we barely see them around the house.

"She was already dead a thousand years ago. We don't need another doppelganger ruining our lives," I answered, munching down my third bowl of oatmeal.

"Admit it, you're jealous!" Klaus exclaimed.

I chuckled in disbelief, saying, "Jealous? I'm having your baby, I'm living in your house—I am a Queen. I have no reason to be jealous of that...two-faced brat,"

"Then why?"

"Because...this family has had enough of doppelgangers. It destroyed you, it destroyed me—it destroyed this family. I don't want that happening again." Klaus doesn't understand. I'm not jealous, I'm scared. We're about to have a baby. Every time a doppelganger comes in the equation is a recipe for disaster.

"Elijah won't agree," Klaus protested.

"He doesn't need to know," I insisted. I suddenly felt vomit rise up my throat. I rushed to the bathroom and puked my guts out. I felt my hair being pulled back, a hand rubbing up and down my back. I heard Klaus whispering comforts in my ear. See, this is the Klaus I'm only allowed to see. To others, he's bad, to me, he's Klaus.

"Let's get you to bed," He instructed, lifting me up bridal-style.

"No!" I fussed, "I want this deal over with. We need to get her niece's soul. Now,"

Klaus protested but I refused. He set me down in the living room yet, keeping an arm around my waist. We raised our hands, opening an entrance to the Underworld. We walked to our quarters, calling Féron, one of our workers.

"I need you to fetch the soul of Monique Deveraux," I handed him the picture Sophie gave us last night. He nodded, wasting no time to do his job.

-----

We walked in the cemetery, Klaus carrying Monique in his arms.

"Sophie, let's do this!" I yelled. The witches came out of their hiding, Sophie and a woman who resembled her stepping in the front lines.

"We've done our part. This is the last of which we make a deal with your coven," Klaus growled, setting the body in front of them. The woman rushed to Monique's body as the other witches helped her move it away.

"We have a problem," Sophie stated. The witches parted to the sides as they tossed a brunette to the center.

"We had a deal!" I exclaimed.

"We tried sending her away as peacefully as possibly but..." Sophie trailed off, "The Original Witch loves to meddle. She has a message for Klaus—'She's your brother's chance at happiness',"

I positioned myself to fight the witches for their incompetence, when Tatia rushed past me and right into Klaus' figure. Her arms wrapped tightly around him, pissing me off more. My attention was no longer with the witches. Klaus pushed her away, where I took the chance and grabbed her by the hair, rushing us back to the house. Klaus appeared after us, looking distressed and confused.

"Love, why don't you attend to Tatia's hygiene," Klaus asked me.

"Why should I?" I asked him, crossing my arms.

"My mother did not bring her back for me, love," Klaus reasoned, "You know who she truly belongs too,"

The Original witch brought her back for Elijah. That part I knew but Elijah's unnoticed loneliness I did not.

"Niklaus, where am I?" Tatia asked, her voice quivering in fear.

"Tatia, this is Persephone," He said, gesturing to me, "She will help you with all you need. For now, I have certain...matters to attend to,"

Tatia nodded, "It is a pleasure to meet you, Madam,"

Deciding to be nice, I returned her greeting. I helped her stand and explained to her how I'm going to help her shower in the simplest way possible. I was about to speed us up to my room, when, "What is the meaning of this?"

"Elijah,"