Chapter 30

AN: From this point forward there are several parts taken straight from the book/movie so in case it wasn't obvious I'm NOT Ransom Riggs! This ALL belongs to him I'm just borrowing some pieces. Aurora and any original plotlines are, of course, mine.

"Like anything that changes you forever, splits your life in two halves: the Before and After." { Jacob Portman, pg 8 book 1}

MILLARD P.O.V.

Miss Peregrine had called all of the children into the parlor for a meeting, which was so unlike her Millard knew that whatever she wanted to speak to them about must be urgent. He sat with Aurora on the piano bench as the other peculiars took seats on the couch and chairs. Miss Peregrine remained standing wringing her hands in front of her obviously trying to find the best way to phrase her news.

"I'm sure all of you remember Abe?" she asked seeming hesitant. Many of the children perked up at the mention of their old friend, the only one who didn't seem too happy was Emma who turned her gaze to the floor.

"Is he back?" Hugh asked excitedly, his bees buzzing around him.

"Not Abe." Miss Peregrine corrected, "His grandson, Jacob." The room grew quiet, the knowledge of Abe having a grandson threw into sharp relief just how long they'd all been in the loop. Millard peered at the calendar Miss Peregrine kept in the parlor that tracked the present day. The top read 2011, dear bird he thought, that made him 86, Aurora 83.

"I saw him arrive yesterday and need a group to go and retrieve him."

oOo oOo oOo

AURORA P.O.V.

In the end it was Emma, Olive, the twins, Claire, Bronwyn and Millard who were the group going through the loop. Aurora still had the occasional nightmare about that day and decided to stay home. As they all headed for the loop entrance Hugh spoke up.

"Bet he'll have questions, probably shouldn't tell'em too much."

"Hugh has a point." Olive agreed, "We don't want to scare him off." There was a murmur of agreement, the twins nodded their heads and Enoch scoffed.

"If he can't handle it then he shouldn't be here." He said sourly before trudging off to his room, Olive watched him go with a sad look in her eyes.

"Enoch!" Hugh called after him making the dead riser stop and turn.

"Promise." Hugh demanded, the few bees buzzing around his head seemed to stir up in the boy's anger. Enoch scoffed again rolling his eyes.

"Fine." He agreed reluctantly before stuffing his hands in his pockets and storming off again.

The group continued on to the loop entrance while they all discussed what not to tell Jacob Portman. They knew they couldn't say a word about wights or hollows. Hugh also added that they shouldn't mention Victor either which made Bronwyn sniffle and Aurora hold tighter to Millard's arm. Once Hugh had gotten everyone to swear to the pact he and Fiona went their separate ways and headed for the garden where Fiona was working on a new shrub and Hugh was helping by having his bees pollinate it.

Horace and Aurora said farewell to the others when they reached the cairn. Horace wished them luck and Aurora and Millard shared a sweet kiss before he entered the tunnel with the others and was transported to the present. Aurora stared into the dark tunnel and almost jumped out of her skin when she felt a hand on her shoulder. Horace was looking at her with an assuring smile.

"They'll be back in a jiffy Aurora. Nothing bad will happen, trust me." He said tapping a finger to his temple. She took a deep breath and smiled back, "Thank you Horace."