Chapter 100

"It was never just a story. I would know: a story had swallowed my whole life." {Jacob Portman, pg 371 book 3}

The car jerked to a sudden stop as they blocked the driveway and the driver – who she assumed was Jacob's father shouted, "What the heck is this?"

The horn honked but none of them even flinched, then the driver's window rolled down and he yelled, "Get out of my driveway!"

Miss Peregrine marched to the door of the car carrying an aura that demanded respect. "We most certainly will not. Exit the vehicle please."

"Who the hell are you?"

"Alma LeFay Peregrine, Ymbryne Council leader pro tem and headmistress to these peculiar children. We've met before, though I don't expect you'd remember. Children say hello."

The man's jaw fell open and the woman in the passenger seat- Jake's mother – began to hyperventilate as Emma removed one shoe and hovered, Claire opened her backmouth, Olive lit a flame in her hand and Millard waved, a suit of clothes without a body. Enoch moved forward to where Miss Peregrine stood, Olive was close behind him, her palm still ablaze. If there was anyone among them who enjoyed intimidating people it was Enoch.

"Hello Frank!" he called cheerfully but with an edge that made the man blink repeatedly, "My name's Enoch O'Connor, we're good friends with your son."

"See?" she heard Jacob shout from the backseat, "I told you they were real!"

"Frank get us out of here!" his mother screeched slapping her husband on the shoulder. He laid on the horn and jammed the accelerator as the vehicle lurched forward. Jake shouted and they all jumped out of the way – except Bronwyn. She planted her feet and caught the front of the car in her small hands, the wheels spun uselessly while the adults in the car screamed in terror. The car stalled, the headlights died and the engine went quiet. Their group of peculiar children circled the car as Jake tried to reassure his parents.

"It's okay, they're my friends, they won't hurt you."

"This is nuts, this is nuts, this is totally nuts." His father kept muttering as Jake got out of the car. He and Emma immediately hugged each other.

"What are you – how did you –"

"I got your electrical letter!" she said.

"My e-mail?"

"Yes, whatever you call it! When I didn't hear from you I got worried, and then I remembered the machinated postbox you said you'd made for me. Horace was able to guess your password and –"

"We came as soon as we heard." Miss Peregrine said shaking her head at Jake's parents, "Very disappointing, but not entirely surprising."

"We're here to save you!" Claire shouted joyfully, "Like you saved us!"

"And I'm so glad to see you but don't you have to go? You'll start aging forward!"

"Didn't you read my last few letters? I explained everything." Emma said now confused.

"My parents took them, that's why they freaked out."

"What? That's stealing you know! Anyway, there's nothing to worry about, we made an exciting discovery!"

"You mean I made an exciting discovery." Millard said.

"Ah! A ghost!" Jacob's mother shrieked.

"I beg your pardon!" Aurora snapped at her causing the woman to jump back in her seat in fright afraid Aurora might harm her. Millard wrapped his arm around her waist and whispered in her ear.