Chapter 26

David and I decided to stay for a couple of days in Dallas, so I could visit with my dad at the time. I tried to get David to go back to LA because I know he has so much work to get done, but he refused to leave.
It's been a couple of days since the funeral, and I'm finally starting to feel a little better. The first two days afterward, I didn't leave my bed and didn't really talk to anyone.

Today, I'm going to show David my hometown, and my life before I met him.

It was funny when David first came to my house because I told him I live in Dallas. What he didn't know, was that I meant I live in the countryside, that's about 30 minutes from Dallas. It's just easier to say I'm from Dallas than explaining where I actually live.

David and I jumped in my old truck, a '71 F150 that's rusted slightly, making the light blue paint seem slightly faded, but my light blue leather interior seemed brand new.
"You drove this?" David asked dumbfounded, as he clutched his camera to his chest, trying to get in the truck.
"Yeah I rebuilt it with my dad when I turned 16," I said smiling at him. As the truck turns on, George Strait comes over the radio, and take a deep breath, as I officially feel at him.
"You're such a country girl," David said laughing.

"I am not," I say trying to defend myself, even though I know he's right.

"You're in the old truck that you rebuilt with your dad, along with your boots and skinny jeans, listening to an old country guy in the middle of Texas," He says laughing.
"This is George Strait how do you not know that?" I ask astonished that he doesn't know who it is. It's even one of his more popular songs.

"I have no idea who that is," He says seriously, and my mouth completely widens. I couldn't say anything to him, because I literally have no words. Instead, we start driving down the road, with the windows open.

"Where are we going anyway?" He asks looking out the window.
"We need to pick something up," I say as we pull up to a farm.
I jump out and make my way to the back, where I saw the older man I called my second father.
"Hey Rhett," I say going up to him. He looks up at me, shock evident on his face.
"Taylor?" He says coming up and hugging me.
"Where have you been? I've missed seeing you," He says pulling away.
"I know, I'm sorry. I moved out to LA about a month ago. I'm just in town for a couple of days. My mother actually passed away, which brought me into town," I say sadly. It's become a lot easier to talk about my mom and what happened the past couple days, and I have David to thank for that. He's been so helpful and sweet, and I just don't know how I would've gotten through it without him.
"Oh, I heard. I'm so sorry I couldn't make the funeral. My grandson's in town, and he was in the rodeo. He won," He says, and the proud look on his face could be seen miles away.

"That's incredible! We totally understand you missing for that," I say.
"Well don't be a stranger Taylor. Who's your guest?" He asks, his eyes shifting to David.
"This is my boyfriend David," David extends his hand out, and Rhett shakes it. Rhett looks at David's all black attire, vans and the expensive camera he's still holding in his hand.
"You're not from around here are you?" Rhett asks causing me to laugh.
"No, sir. I'm from LA," David says, and Rhett slowly nods his head.

"Well, why don't David and I get to know each other a little more, and I'll have my grandson Austin help you with the hay," Rhett says, and I nod heading to where he keeps the round bales.

"You must be Austin," I say, as I approach a man maybe a few years older than me brushing one of their horses.

"Yes ma'am. How can I help you?" He says turning around. The first thing I notice is how attractive he is, but I remind myself that I have David.
"I'm picking up a round bale. Rhett said you'd help me get it on my truck," I say watching the horse.