Epilogue

EIGHT YEARS LATER

Matt's POV:

I have never been more happy than I am right now, with Leo sitting with me, in an apartment of our own, cuddling together on our couch, watching TV.

That's not what's making me more happy than ever. We used to this all the time back at our old apartment, when we were in college. An apartment his dad helped paying and that we're both grateful for. 

But at this moment, there were no worries, just Leo and I, cuddled up, watching TV, with our three kids sitting together in the little couch next to ours, also all cuddled up together in a blanket.

Yup, our three kids. I can't believe I had kids with Leo, who is also now my husband. I couldn't be happier.

Leo ended up proposing to me on my last year of college and we got married a few months after I finished it ,and we went on our honeymoon to Greece and Italy. It was great and super romantic. Not to mention the fact that Leo had also been working non-stop during that year and also needed a break.

After he finished his last year in college, he immediately started looking for a job and at first it was hard, but he got a small job at a museum and he made his way up and he's now a gallery/museum curator. The pay is good, too, so that's a plus, which also contributed to his dad's approval of said job career, even though he had alreay accepted and realised he was not being very supportive.

Other than what we call the "dark year", where Leo and I broke up for about a year and a half, back in college, and where we dated other people, but ended up going back to each other, everything's been perfect.

I, on the other hand, work as an analyst/data scientist. We had internships while in college and they offered me a job once I got out, so that's good, too. 

Anyway, back to the kids. About a year into our marriage, Leo and I fostered an 8 year old boy, named Julian. After looking after him for a few months, we knew we couldn't bring ourselves to give him back, so we adopted him. And yes, it was hard, but Julian is wonderful, even if he was a bit difficult at first. He came around eventually.

A little after adopting Julian, we found out that he had two younger siblings. Twins, and that they had been in a not so good home, and even though Leo and I were still getting used to having one kid, we knew we couldn't leave them there. We felt even worse everytime Julian talked about them and how much he missed them.

So Leo and I decided to track them down and we adopted them. The twins were 6 years old, a boy named Sean and a girl named Maya. Both were a bit easier than Julian because they were younger and didn't quite understand what was going on, but at the moment we were all happy.

Both our parents were super supportive of everything. Leo's parents were great, always supportive and my mom is now also better than ever. I was afraid that after she got out of rehab she would relapse, but she never did, thankfully.

Chris is also a 14 year old now. A teenager. He's still the kid that came to me when he was sad or had a nightmare, only a bit more proud and...teenage-y...now that he hit puberty. He sometimes spends the weekends at our place. He has his own room here, too. He gets along great with the kids, so that's a plus.

"Hey," I'm snapped out of my thoughts by Leo whispering, not to disturb the kids. "You good?"

"Yeah," I whisper back. "I'm perfect, just thinking of how great our life is."

He hums in agreement, a soft smile on his face, while we both look at the kids.

"Yup, we're pretty great. And it's getting late, so we should probably hit the hay, huh? It's someone's special day tomorrow."