15. Crimson blush

15
ALEXA KING
-Present-

Levittown's commercial area 
September 22, 2018
5:15 p.m.

MY FATHER HUMS ALONG to some eighties song, his long fingers tapping gently on the steering wheel

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

MY FATHER HUMS ALONG to some eighties song, his long fingers tapping gently on the steering wheel. The collision between his fingers and the leather encircling the wheel produces a soft thud that intensifies when he grips it tight, resulting in the squeaking of rubber. His cologne invades the air inside this old Sedan, a signature smell of spice with a dash of lavender that reminds me of home. It's been a long time since I last heard him humming like this, his fingers tapping away in rhythm with the song, the ghost of a smile threatening his permanent frown.

The sight of it makes my chest swell, heart beating at a normal pace - not the quick thumps from seeing Christopher or the slow pumps when remembering Melody, just a tranquil fluttering that's supposed to always be there. My lips broaden to a full grin, and I can almost feel the exhilaration coursing through my whole body, liberating and exciting. But then, I remember how mom used to make him hum like that, how the sound of her laughter was enough to make him grin, how the touch of her skin was comforting enough to make him burst into a lovely fit of laughter.

My chest tightens with pain and my grin lowers to a grimace. I fold the sun visor back to its place, the mirror hiding along with it. Levittown's main street stretches beyond us, its dark gray asphalt glistening against the sunlight, while its painted yellow lines appear neon under it. Some commercial establishments align on either side of the road, all colorful and antique. The five o'clock sun hangs low on the clear sky, bathing these establishments a golden yellow that reveals all of their imperfections. Some have cheap paint, while others are filled with dirt and dust.

Outside this window, the world transforms into a haze of colors that continues to move while I'm stuck inside this car, where time is still and there's only my thoughts. It's tranquil in here - my father's melodic hum uniting with the faint sound of the music, the soft squeaking penetrating the odorous air, my dangerous thoughts flying around in deadly silence.

"I know it's been tough, Alexa," my father says, breaking the silence. "I'm so worried about you."

I tilt my head to the side and stare at his profile. "Don't worry, dad. I'm fine." The lie slips on my tongue with ease, increasing the numbness in my chest.

He nods, his lips stretching into a straight line, and tightens his grip on the steering wheel. "You don't have to see Dr. Johnson if you don't want to. It's just that," - he sighs - "I think it would be good for you. After what happened to Melody and your mother..."

"Dad, really, I'm fine. I've got the best psychiatrist right here with me."

"I'm the only psychiatrist in Levittown," he says, his lips twitching to form a smile. "But seriously, honey. You don't have to act tough with me." He takes his eyes away from the road and looks at me for a moment, his eyes glossy with concern. "I know how it is. You're going to hide things from me and I don't blame you for it. Maybe speaking to a stranger will help you open up."