29. Poker face reaction

29
MELODY TRYNISKI
-Past-

Sebastián's summer house
June 28, 2018
9:50 p.m.

I SMILE UP AT Sebby as he blows some smoke in my face

I SMILE UP AT Sebby as he blows some smoke in my face. It comes out in rings, perfect circles constructed by his pretty, plump lips. I imagine it going down his throat to his lungs and coming back up again as puffs of air waiting to arrive in my mouth. So, I open my mouth a little and inhale the weed.

As soon as it's in my system, I relish the funny sensation that's coursing through my blood and laugh. He looks down at me, his hazel eyes sparkling with affection and mirth, and laughs. The sound of his laughter is enough to get me in a good mood. It's almost as intoxicating as this weed.

His long dreadlocks move off his shoulders to the side, covering me from view. In between the gaps that separate them, I see Alexa standing in the middle of the entrance hall. She's looking directly at me, her frown deepening as she takes a step forward. Fuck, I shouldn't have told her about him; about what we're doing later tonight. Now she's coming over here, but for what?

Before she can do so, something catches her attention. No-someone. Christopher passes by, and as if transfixed by some kind of spell, Alexa follows after him. If I'm going to be honest, I'm both relieved and disappointed. Relieved that she no longer has an interest in knowing more about him, and disappointed that I'm no longer the center of her attention tonight. Tonight, of all other nights.

"I'm gonna get us some drinks," I shout near Sebby's ear.

He needs to sober up a little, and I need to find out what Alexa's up to.

"Tequila," he says, giving me a surreptitious smile. "I'll be right here."

As I walk along this long corridor, the effects of the weed begin to settle in. The music sounds ten times harder under the influence, pounding and pounding as if speakers were on either side of my head. Walking doesn't feel like walking at all, more like floating. I have to recline on the walls on either side of me to keep my balance and not fall face-first to the floor. Colors swim in the air in watery streams, and I know for a fact that they're not the purple and green lights from the party.

Damn, that's some good quality weed. All that's left is for me to see a unicorn. Fingers crossed.

Once I float my way to the bottom of the stairs, I see Christopher leading trashy girl upstairs and Alexa following close behind. The girl can't even keep her distance. It's like Christopher's the magnet and Alexa the metal. What is she trying to do? To my surprise, he looks down at her and smiles. I can't see her reaction; she's giving me her back. But then, he looks past her at me, his smile broadening.

You're so naïve, it's funny. I realized that it was a bad place-evil, really. Levittown is evil enough, imagine how that place is like?

His voice echoes in my mind, over and over again, a warning in repeat. It gets distorted the more I think about it, almost sinister. I smile back, not for him but because I'm proud that Alexa's doing something about her Christopher problem. Maybe she'll lose her virginity in a threesome. It's what she deserves, some kinky shit. And, if I'm honest, Christopher looks like the type of guy who knows what he's doing during sex. It's obvious he knows how to fuck. The kind of fuck that actually fucks you up. The kind that ruins your life. Good dick always comes from a fucked-up loser.