Territory

J opened her front door and sent her keys skidding across the side table, before the familiar scent hit her.

She froze and a growl slid from her lips. She sighed in annoyance, "what now?" She snapped at the wolf leaning against her kitchen counter.

The authority in her stance annoyed J, the way that she filled the space as though she owned it. It was making J territorial, putting her hackles up and forcing her wolf to linger beneath her skin.

This was J's house. No one else's. No one should own it but her.

The wily wolf was, of course, doing it on purpose.

"Cassidy. I really don't have the patience for this today, I-"

"I know what Kelsey said. She was being ridiculous, she'll be punished."

The words triggered a cascade of memories that tried to break free of the tight hold J kept on them. Her eyes flickered to Cassidy's and away again.

Cassidy knew that look. Knew what those words had meant in the past. Cassidy understood what that phrase had meant to J. She was probably the only other person in this pack that did, and that was exactly why she made such a great alpha.

"I mean she'll have to wash the cars at the garage or something." Cassidy clarified as she pushed off of the kitchen side and stopped beside J. "Leah said you were leaving. I get it. But be careful-"

J rolled her eyes.

"I mean it J, our pack is under surveillance," a growl filled J's chest, "with Caine gone, there's a power struggle underway. For years the threat of Caine has kept a balance and control over the other packs. Now he's gone."

Memories flashed through J's mind and she smiled a hollow smile. Caine being gone was a God send. The consequences of that night? Not so much.

"Jake ran one of the strongest packs around and now he's mated to a wolf that Caine spent his dying breath trying to get. People are nervous. Of course, we have no interest in any of it, but they're watching you too J. You're the wolf that killed Caine, singlehandedly by all accounts-" she held her hand up to stop J from interrupting, "I know you say it was a team effort, but it was you who took him down J. I fought him, I know how powerful he was and yet you beat him. They're watching you because they're worried that you'll claim what's left of his pack, that you'll fill the alpha power gap."

Panic lingered beneath J's skin, but she fought and gave a small chuckle and shook her head, brushing off Cassidy's warning. "You and I both know I'd make a terrible alpha."

Cassidy didn't join in with J's laughter, she just waited for her to fall into silence. "I think you'd make a great alpha."

J was restless under the weight of Cassidy's unflinching gaze. She shook her head again and looked away. "A broken wolf can't lead a pack, Cassidy."

Cassidy walked towards the front door but paused as she reached it, "you're not broken J. You're just powerful. You have to learn how to live with your wolf, that's all." She opened the door and stepped out into the afternoon sun, basking in its warmth.

"Live with her? She's practically rogue, Cassidy. I have no more chance of needing to be put down than I do of being alpha. Who would follow a wolf that killed her own mate?"

Cassidy looked sad, tears threatening in her eyes as she went to close the door. "That wasn't your fault, J." She whispered as she slowly shut the door.

J, grit her teeth, her eyes burning with unshed tears. Only as Cassidy's scent began to fade did J notice something lingering beneath her normal scent. It was a foreign smell to J. Her heart quickened, was Cassidy sick? She'd never be able to bring herself to leave if she was.

Not for the first time that day, J wrestled with her decision. To leave, or to stay?